Bad adhesion of Buildtak

Thoughts about Raise3D, 3D printing and making in general.
firesped

Re: Bad adhesion of Buildtak

Postby firesped » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:27 pm

I've printed large parts in ABS the size of the printer and it always warpped. It's a matter of getting the heat on the hot bed at the right place. I think I ultimately went to PLA+ instead but it depends on what your goal is.
RL name: Michael Nolen

SteveWallin

Re: Bad adhesion of Buildtak

Postby SteveWallin » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:32 am

I've printed a couple of large ABS objects successfully, directly on to the glass with PVA glue (Elmer's Xtreme glue stick). I spent a very frustrating hour or so leveling the bed when I first got the machine, but I've been printing every day since then (a little over a month) without adjustment aside from the thumbwheel for adjusting overall distance from the nozzle to the glass, and i've been printing a lot of larger objects, 6"x6" up to max build volume in the X-Y, no rafts and small layer heights (.15mm and less).

P1020591.jpg

ABS - about 8" diameter.

I'd say, just flip the plate and forget the buildtak ever existed and level the bed thoroughly.

I feel like i'm the only one that has/will say this but, I love the bed so far. Personally I find that it maintains it's flatness and plane once set and that bed temp does not change anything significantly enough to have to change anymore than the overall distance from nozzle tip to glass when I change the bed settings for different material, which I can do within a minute with a piece of paper and the bed up to temperature. I think it's great that I only have to deal with a single adjustment point when setting up for a new material and that it's quick and easy, I used to spend soo much time frustrated, leveling the bed for every print on my previous printer.

Return to “General”