N2 plus not a great experience before even printing

Thoughts about Raise3D, 3D printing and making in general.
JDH

N2 plus not a great experience before even printing

Postby JDH » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:49 pm

This is to get the attention of Raise and others looking to purchase and let them know they need to work on QC and do better inspections before product leaves the factory, and there are some issues that have made for a disappointing experience.

After unboxing my N2 plus which was purchased 2-23-17, I first noticed that there were scratches on the black frame which had been covered up with a marker. Purple ink over black, isnt a good match, and looks second hand. I realize you cant fix anodizing easily so we will just move on. Next the styrofoam packing shell which encloses the printer is sturdy and would protect the printer well also wears the soft plexiglass when moving around in shipping to the point it scratches or leaves dulled rub marks all over. This makes the clear enclosure look dirty all the time and needs to be buffed to be fixed, not something i really want to do, or like the look of on a brand new machine. You need to protect the glass from the foam, and while im on the subject of cleanliness, have the machine wiped down before packaging. There were greasy potatoe chip eatin fingerprints all over..Kinda gross., and then after removing the printer from the bottom foam section we saw a broken printed bracket which must be a wire loom support laying on the foam. It was printed with a very low temp setting which made the part as brittle as Ritz crackers..not great either. So leaving a :| look on our faces we continued to unbox and were eventually happier when the machine powered up the first time. Oh the the center bed screw was absent too...

Then after a week of getting prepared and closing in on printing something we noticed the extruder block was very hard to move freely on the cross rods, it was not lubricated well and I cleaned and replaced the lube but this also enlightened me to the fact that the bearings in the block had a loose and sloppy fit on the cross rods. Worn bearings, tapered rods, oversized bearing recesses? I dont know, but i do know the slop translates to the nozzle and will diminish print quality.

Returning this machine, enough is enough..

Monty

Re: N2 plus not a great experience before even printing

Postby Monty » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:08 pm

You are not alone. Mine arrived with a big gouge out of it. I also find the carriage hard to move, but today on doing a weekly clean noticed that the rail bars are worn and pitted now.

rod1.jpg

You can see a video of the problem here

Sticking carriage

ABH

Postby ABH » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:20 pm

Monty, it's very scaring to watch your video. I think you are too hard on that poor printer, applying so much force to the printer head.
It might be that your gantry is out of adjustment, but even if it isn't, then you have tight tolerances in your slider block bushings and sometimes it can be difficult to move your printer head by just pushing it. If your rods start bending by applying the force to the printer head, then the bushings stick and you cannot move the slider blocks. I always move my printer head by applying even force to the two slider blocks on each side. That's how the printer head moves when the stepper motors move it.
It's hard to believe that those scratches on your rods are from normal use. The brass bushings are much softer than the steel rods.

Monty

Postby Monty » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:31 pm

That was me holding the camera with one hand I normally do push push on both sides. But it can jam like that in a print.

No answer to the rods part, They are like that. After 4 months and not a great deal of use. My FFCP gets used nearly every day. The Raise on weekends.

NewbPilot

Postby NewbPilot » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:29 pm

JDH wrote:This is to get the attention of Raise and others looking to purchase and let them know they need to work on QC and do better inspections before product leaves the factory, and there are some issues that have made for a disappointing experience.

After unboxing my N2 plus which was purchased 2-23-17,...

Returning this machine, enough is enough..

Where did you purchase the machine?

zenway9

Postby zenway9 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:21 am

I feel your pain. I had a broken gantry 4 days after receiving my N2 Plus. Raise 3D left it up to me to buy a replacement and "fix it myself". Then just recently, my Y stop switch broke off, which caused the print head to wander to areas off of the normal build area and grind to the point where I thought it was going to break off. Once again, I had to buy my own replacement switch and fix it myself.

One of the guys from Raise 3D told me they don't willingly post photo step-by-step instructions...no idea why.

I'll tell ya what, they sure do make a pretty machine, but someone once told me you can't polish a turd! I wish Dremel made a printer with the same build volume!

Gonna dump mine for pennies on the dollar at some point soon.

chengl03

Postby chengl03 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:33 am

Sorry for the late reply, but from what you wrote, the thing about the styrofoam, mine had a large plastic bag cover over my N2 plus then the styrofoam is then put in place to seal the printer which I think is to protect from what you said as scratches/rub marks. I printed from out of the box and everything printed great actually though i have not printed any taller than 12 in (haven't need to yet). But I had to repack the N2 plus cause I moved to a different place and have yet to print anything of yet and I think/hope the printer was fine with the way I repack it and from the bumpy roads (cause it fell once).

maugseros

Postby maugseros » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:26 am

That's unfortunate. My printer came spotless and very well packaged for delivery. Not a scratch on it.

Wolfman

Postby Wolfman » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:26 am

Same for me. The printer had lots of fingerprints on the glass from outside and inside, and huge amount of grease on the door. Tons of dust on the inside. Not something you expect when you pay that much money for a printer.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:16 am

Wolfman wrote:Same for me. The printer had lots of fingerprints on the glass from outside and inside, and huge amount of grease on the door. Tons of dust on the inside. Not something you expect when you pay that much money for a printer.

Have you taken pictures of those problem? If so, can you please share the pictures onto our ticket system with the serial number of your machine?
http://help.raise3d.com/support/home

Wolfman

Postby Wolfman » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:12 pm

I took some photos and I just added them to the ticket. Thank you Vicky.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:21 am

Wolfman wrote:I took some photos and I just added them to the ticket. Thank you Vicky.

Should be many thanks for you from our side. This can help us improve our production quality.

Wolfman

Postby Wolfman » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:04 pm

I'm glad it helps you improve your production quality, however it doesn't help me with my issue.

The condition of the machine aside, the build table was not calibrated properly and the nozzles keep hitting the print and depending on the print, scratches the prints and knocks it off the off table. I've had better luck printing with just the left nozzle. But when printing with the right one or doing dual color prints, there are more issues with the nozzles hitting the print. I even followed the table calibration instructions, and also leveled the nozzles per the instructional video. Still no luck.

I don't understand how you guys can make such a nice large printer with lots of features, and then drop the ball on build table leveling and also the dual extrusion part. Every new printer has some sort of automatic build table leveling. Even if not hardware, but at least software leveling. Also for dual extruders, why not pull the unusused extruder up automatically, then lower it for printing? Seems that would cause less issues.

I'm still waiting for support to provide me with a solution and make this right, but I'm already starting to greatly regret this purchase decision and I wish I went with an Ultimaker3 or 2+.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:19 am

Did you make sure that the two nozzles are exactly at the same height? Which tends to hit the model more?
Normally, set right one a little higher than left one may reduce the hitting problem.
If you feel still have trouble this, maybe a phone call to our office will be quicker and easier for understanding than words explanation.
Telephone: + 1-888-963-9028
Working Hours: 10 AM - 4 PM (PT)

Wolfman

Postby Wolfman » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:29 pm

I have contacted them. Still waiting on a solution. :x

Here are the photos. This is the condition of my expensive printer when I unpacked it.

5B9519CB-5185-4A7A-8C47-77035BF607B3.JPG
198FDB49-C6C8-49FD-B1F3-5E83DB8FB713.JPG
D7A73A4F-9610-4B05-BAC1-467B32762D7F.JPG
81F0204B-795F-4DDE-96B7-77EB6AA2F0AC.JPG

The front door is bent at the top and bottom (even when it's not closed you can see an arch in it), and the side flimsy acrylic door is also warped.
9E712B0F-AE98-44A6-AF51-B43D9FFA40ED.JPG

I wouldn't care about this if the printer was $1000, or even $2000, or if the bed was factory calibrated like they promised. "Build platform is pre-calibrated at the factory"

Wolfman

Postby Wolfman » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:31 pm

Oh... and this is a question for other users. Are the screws on all the bushings on your printers loose also? Support told me that's done on purpose, but I don't buy it. They are like wiggling in there.

Evan

Postby Evan » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:49 pm

Yes they're supposed to be loose. Tighten them and your bed won't move all the way up/down without binding up somewhere.

Monty

Postby Monty » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:33 am

I noticed when the Z screw starts to turn these bearings have a slack that is taken up before the bed moves. Wouldn't that effect the layer height a bit ?

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:57 am

Wolfman wrote:I have contacted them. Still waiting on a solution. :x

Here are the photos. This is the condition of my expensive printer when I unpacked it.

5B9519CB-5185-4A7A-8C47-77035BF607B3.JPG
198FDB49-C6C8-49FD-B1F3-5E83DB8FB713.JPG
D7A73A4F-9610-4B05-BAC1-467B32762D7F.JPG
81F0204B-795F-4DDE-96B7-77EB6AA2F0AC.JPG

The front door is bent at the top and bottom (even when it's not closed you can see an arch in it), and the side flimsy acrylic door is also warped.
9E712B0F-AE98-44A6-AF51-B43D9FFA40ED.JPG

I wouldn't care about this if the printer was $1000, or even $2000, or if the bed was factory calibrated like they promised. "Build platform is pre-calibrated at the factory"

We feel so sorry about all of these, especially the dust.
Will share all the pictures with our factory. These must need to be trace back why happened on your new machine.

Monty

Postby Monty » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:26 am

I assumed the white powder was from the latex gloves that might have been worn by the people building the machines.

Return to “General”