REV1 and REV2 Heads

Thoughts about Raise3D, 3D printing and making in general.
JDH

REV1 and REV2 Heads

Postby JDH » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:04 pm

3-7-2017

Received a new straight from the factory N2+ 2 weeks ago. This was confirmed by my dealer and manufacturer, that this is not old stock. My machine came with a cast extruder head, which i understand i a revision 1. The cnc milled head is a revision 2 but no longer being priduced this way. I am not happy with the design meaning the cast head sides are not square and the extruder mounting plate does not have a mating angle and is not straight when mounted... it may not affect performance nor does the cast head but it seems less than optimal.

Can someone explain why current machines are now sold with an outdated part? This was information i just got from my seller and Raise..

If i buy a new car, i dont want to pay the same price for that car with last years designs...Raise to the next level, dont lower to the previous... :(
Last edited by JDH on Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lami3d

Re: V1 and V2 Heads

Postby lami3d » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:31 pm

I had to change a printhead and i needed a cast one and Raise3d said they only produce cast printhead now :
"And we only make the casting type now because the CNC type cannot make every size to be perfect as casting. The scrap ratio of CNC type is too high."

I'm not sure rev1 or 2 is from Raise3d because they answer me that they didn't know if the rev1 was the cast on or the cnc milled one...
Rev 1 or Rev 2 doesn't mean that rev2 has some improvements, it can be cost reduction, variant...

I have 2 cast printheads and i changed my extruders so, i can't compare with cnc milled one but i saw on the boards that cast one is lighter than cnc milled one (about 25g if i rember it well). And i find it's positive.

lami3d

Postby lami3d » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:34 pm

They don't say that but : if you buy a SEAT, you have the last year VW design :mrgreen:

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:36 pm

No, no, no.
Clearly you do not understand.
The cast head is BETTER than the CNC machined head. It holds the bearings tighter, regardless of what you think about cast or the shape you are entirely 100% incorrect in your assumption. I have both a machine with a cast head and CNC machined head and cast is better. Also, the shape and if the extruder feeder above it is angled has NOTHING and I mean nothing to do with printing or precision or any other meaningful factor related to printing. It's just different versions.

I believe the real reason for cast and CNC heads was that casting heads ran out, and for production they needed parts and ran a batch of CNC milled versions.
Again, my personal experience and evidence from the forum and discussion and feedback to Raise 3d all said the cast was actually HIGHER precision than the CNC because the CNC version was not a press fit on the linear bearings.

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:44 pm

Again, no, there was NEVER a V1 or V2 central crossing block. This not to be confused with the V2 hotend, that has been standard on every printer sold after the Kickstarter units.

You only find reference from Bondtech just because he had to differentiate between the 2 (cast VS CNC) for best fit of his extruder upgrade since there were mechanical details about the mounting of the feeder. As long as the feeder does not move and thus the distance between the drive feed system and the actual hotend never changes nonce of this matters one single bit.

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:49 pm

Also, what I said about the CNC version not being a press fit linear bearing- that may not be true for every single one in the field. All I know is, I have a production N1 and mine had the slightest tolerance and thus backlash and I solved it using an internal zip tie to pull the 2 linear bearings together in tension to preload it. I've seen maybe 1-2 comments ever of someone reporting the same thing on the CNC version. But again. I just got my own brand new N2Plus and asked Raise before it ever came what central crossing block and was actually happy and excited it was the cast version given my previous experience with the CNC version. Again, of the 3 machines I have, 2 are cast, 1 is CNC and I much prefer the cast. In fact, if they would sell it, I would retrofit my N1 with cast.

JDH

Re: REV1 and REV2 Heads

Postby JDH » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:39 pm

Thank you for the clarification. I was mistaken and also fixed the title of the thread from V1&2 to REV 1 and REV2. My problem with getting a cast head was instigated by the fact that the cross rod bearing are quite sloppy. Enough so that it will affect print quality. I assumed CNC machined blocks were held to tighter tolerances than a cast part(even though im sure the bearing recesses had to be CNC machined post cast) and the excessive movement of the block was due to the cast version. I agree that the cast part would be lighter which is a plus, but a CNC machined block would/should be as precise if not better, unless its machined by Mickey Mouse.

lami3d

Re: REV1 and REV2 Heads

Postby lami3d » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:13 pm

mdr/lol
i imagine mickey mouse in fantasia, machined a N2 raise3d frame ! :mrgreen:

Return to “General”