What's a good reliable PLA

Thoughts about Raise3D, 3D printing and making in general.
Helipilot

What's a good reliable PLA

Postby Helipilot » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:41 pm

I too have had trouble ordering from my favorite pla source (orb) and now I'm looking for a comparable pla. Orb was cheap and very good.
Any suggestions.
Raise 3D N2 Dual purchased Aug 9th 2016

Charles

Re: What's a good reliable PLA

Postby Charles » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:20 pm

If you have a Microcenter close by, Inland PLA is pretty consistent and inexpensive. $14.99 a roll.

walshlg

Postby walshlg » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:28 pm

must say the raise pla is among the easiest to print I've ever used

RiserDog

Postby RiserDog » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:45 pm

I agree that Raise PLA is very consistent and easy to print with.

Ben Roj

Postby Ben Roj » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:07 pm

Polymaker is also another alternative though it is not cheap.

Rogman

Postby Rogman » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:07 pm

e-sun and hatchbox

Helipilot

Postby Helipilot » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:21 am

walshlg wrote:must say the raise pla is among the easiest to print I've ever used

I agree, but the stock is always out and limited.

Helipilot

Postby Helipilot » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:21 am

Rogman wrote:e-sun and hatchbox

How does it compare to raise premium pla?

Rogman

Postby Rogman » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:38 pm

I like the premium from Raise3D but I have had very good luck with prints from E-sun and Hatchbox. I like the black and red from Raise3d, the red from e-sun is more of a watermelon color. I use E-sun and Hatchbox more due to the fact of students coming in and wanting a color I don't have, so I then have to order the filament with the least amount of shipping time to make sure the project can get through the students "Revisions" before the end of the project. :lol:

Docmani

Postby Docmani » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:23 pm

Has anyone tried Inland from Microcenter? I've seen a few people claim its made by eSun.

Its $15 per KG and local, both of which are pluses.

JeffS

Postby JeffS » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:43 am

I use Microcenter's Inland filaments most of the time. They work great in my N2 Plus dual V2. I have used their PLA, ABS, PETG, PC, PVA, Flexible and eLastic filaments. Good filaments, lots of color choices and a great value. All extruded fine with the stock setup except the eLastic filament. I modded my left extruder a bit to help get better compression on the eLastic filament and now even that prints great. The stock setup was slipping and even at 150% flow rate, it was not always enough to extrude consistently.

For the flexible filaments, I use an overhead feed without the PTFE guide tubes to minimize drag into the feed gear. I also run feed rates very slow (20-30 mm/s) and overextrude a bit as the flexibles tends to extrude like bubble gum. The flexible filaments stick very well to the Buildtak. Too well if the first layer gap is too small - so mind the gap.

All others print well with the standard setup using minimum distance between feed gear and idler bearing (loosen stepper motor mounting screws and push as close to idler bearing as possible then retighten).

Be sure to print your calibration cubes to get the gap and settings correct for each type of filament. Once you do, I think you will be very happy with Inland filaments.

Docmani

Postby Docmani » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:10 pm

Very good info. Thank you!

NewbPilot

Postby NewbPilot » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:36 pm

I have had good success with MatterHacker PLA, and recently bought 2 rolls of eSun PLA Plus and two test prints came out well. I seem to be printing PLA at about 215 with a 65 bed. I had planned on trying to dial it in more, lowering the temp, but I print mostly PETG now, so it hasnt been a priority

Mecha_Monster

Postby Mecha_Monster » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:45 pm

For PLA my first option is always Raise3D brand. Anyhow, it is more difficult to get than other brands that can be buy through amazon.

Second option: I get really good results with Hatchbox PLA, and it is available on Amazon. Just a couple of recomendations: for white PLA set the temp to about 195 deg. and for colored PLA (like black or organge) set the temp to 185. The colorant added to the filament DOES affect the melting temp and glass transition temp. I have seen this is hatchbox PLA, but I am sure that it applies to any brand and any material.

cheers

Helipilot

Postby Helipilot » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:26 pm

Good Info...Still upset about ORB ... Has anyone bought from them lately ?

Evan

Postby Evan » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:43 pm

For premium PLA I like Boots Industries. It can withstand more heat than the typical ABS. It's super stiff though so removing support material can be a PIA sometimes.

NewbPilot

Postby NewbPilot » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:17 pm

Oh - and Im gonna throw this out there.
Previously, i had *NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS* with MakerGeeks. I mean hundreds of dollars on filament that just didnt print.
HOWEVER, i decided to spend a few hundred dollars more (throw good money after bad?) and bought 2 rolls of Maker PLA, 2 rolls of Maker PETG, 2 rolls of Raptor PETG.
While 1 roll of raptor is terribly out of tolerance (1.95mm and they want me to mail it back for a credit, which i havent done) every other roll is freaking perfect. I am printing their PLA Whos BLu (Navy Blue) right now and it;s FREAKING GORGEOUS. looks amazing in terms of color and quality. Im on my 3rd print for a total of about 8 hours of printing and i am terribly happy. Their PLA requires 230 nozzle, 65 bed, and im printing at 45mm for everything (layer, inner, outer, top, bottom and infill) but im super super happy.

walshlg

Postby walshlg » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:11 pm

Yeh we are having complete failure on all makergeeks pla on N2+ and flachforge creator pro. Seems to work on an i3 clone. (we have 10kg of it in various colors)

NewbPilot

Postby NewbPilot » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:22 pm

walshlg wrote:Yeh we are having complete failure on all makergeeks pla on N2+ and flachforge creator pro. Seems to work on an i3 clone. (we have 10kg of it in various colors)

I will check and share my settings, but I have printed about 1/3 of a roll of three different colors of their Maker PLA this weekend. No issues at all. Looks gorgeous. Definitely check the diameter of the spool. In the past i had major tolerance issues. DOesnt seem as bad anymore

Return to “General”