What's this issue look like to you?

Thoughts about Raise3D, 3D printing and making in general.
geekhands

Re: What's this issue look like to you?

Postby geekhands » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:28 pm

After nearly 10 hours playing with this thing. I think it might "might" be dialed in.
After finding what looks like a good Z home. I am printing my first print in the area that previously was good.
I'll move the test cube around the bed and we'll see how well I did.

That was awful lol!

-Jess

walshlg

Postby walshlg » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:08 am

yeh do that a few times and the bed mod will seem like a bargain with your time. The best news is that I can take the plate off each print if I want clean/ apply hairspray etc and put it back on and after its reheated the bed level stays within about 50um.

geekhands wrote:After nearly 10 hours playing with this thing. I think it might "might" be dialed in.
After finding what looks like a good Z home. I am printing my first print in the area that previously was good.
I'll move the test cube around the bed and we'll see how well I did.

That was awful lol!

-Jess

geekhands

Postby geekhands » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:50 pm

well i again had to start modding my level from position to position just to get my brim only cube test to work....
after trying the last quadrant this morning and again needing to make adjustments... I went back to the drawing board.

This time, though, I've withdrawn the side tensioners. and tightened each position to it's lowest point.

It's clear that however they are leveling in the factory - they're using a different glass plate than the one delivered with each unit.
This is a major oversight.

I can see the glass I have is not sitting square with everything lowered. So we're adjusting the bed to mate with specific pieces of imperfect glass and if I ever break this plate I'll have to go through this again.

So to that end... how are people modding the bed to make this easier..
I've seen different mods. What are the pros and cons to modding the bed adjustments?

What is Raise3D's suggestions.
Last edited by geekhands on Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

geekhands

Postby geekhands » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:14 pm

And JetGuy...

Thanks much for your insight on my post.
I've basically wondered what the need was for leveling all points on the bed.
I'll probably do as you did considering the corners and center first before considering a mod.

It'll be nice when I have this thing dialed in.

walshlg

Postby walshlg » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:02 pm

The mods are all basicly: print plastic cups to hold the ends of the springs and guide the screws. Order long countersunk head screws - don't forget make them longer than the bed+spring+gnurled nut. I think 55mm M3 IIRC. Order springs - I think 5 points is as good as the 11 points btw. Make spring for center atleast 2x as strong as outer springs. Order gnurled nuts to make it easy to adjust tension.

geekhands

Postby geekhands » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:51 pm

Wound up buying a dial indicator to precisely level... also modded bed adjustments... I'll post pics and sku's to the hardware I used...
Only printed a spring support... the rest I bought from McMaster-Carr.

Let's see what even a relatively feeler gauge leveled bed can now do.

walshlg

Postby walshlg » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:50 pm

remember the bed bows in wierd ways with heating so heat it up for a good 30 minutes before leveling

geekhands

Postby geekhands » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:13 pm

definitely... learned that :)

even without the dial indicator (it's coming today).. I was able to get the bed fairly level using the bed mod... I've been running single with the left extruder only so far. I had only been adjusting my z gap on that extruder and I quickly realized that using a metal feeler gauge caused some wear on the tip making the right unused extruder ever so slightly lower. That, of course, created a circumstance where it was scraping over the new extruded plastic and eventually would strike the model. After enough strikes I'd return to a bed full of spaghetti and a model pushed aside. Both nozzles were positioned at their highest position so instead of adjusting the right nozzle up - I had to adjust the left nozzle down.

After I did that - the left extruder is once again producing beautiful prints though I've had a few rafts lift. After I get the dial indicator today - I'll dial this bed in to near perfect level and then adjust the right nozzle to be level with the left. As of now I left a larger gap than will work for dual extrusion.

I think I'll stick with single extrusion for a bit and test the limits of the machine for a while before I decide to try my hand at dual extrusion...

walshlg

Postby walshlg » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:18 pm

fwiw I use a sheet of copy paper. Z gap 1 sheet = 100um for layers 200um, 2 sheets = 200um for thicker layers

geekhands

Postby geekhands » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:38 pm

Would certainly be easier on the nozzle tip... :)

For as much as I am obsessing about dialing this unit in... I've learned each printer is different, comes with it's own unique challenges, and though I've had some struggles I am not about to give up on this relationship - lol!

I have high hopes for what this platform can do.

walshlg

Postby walshlg » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:56 pm

BTW another thing to consider: If you use hairspray or other glue, part of it comes off with a print. So if doing repeated prints the center loses stick and Thickness due to glue loss. Spray on more glue and the non-denuded area gets significantly thicker over time. Leveling with glue on the surface is a total pain as it sticks to the paper and thickness is non-uniform. Leveling without glue may then have an artifact as we tend to spray more glue on the center area and less at edges and much less at corners.

geekhands

Postby geekhands » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:41 pm

I am pretty happy with Buildtak and although I understand replacing it will be expensive I'll probably continue to use that for a while... like everything I am sure it has a useful lifespan... when i get to trying ABS i'll probably have a committed plate for it and print directly on the glass... have to find that sweet spot on every device for every material right?

Return to “General”