Polymaker filament

Thoughts about Raise3D, 3D printing and making in general.
sgeolog

Polymaker filament

Postby sgeolog » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:58 pm

Hi,

I bought filament (Order #1661) and of course it was delivered. I printed black color and everything was ok. Yesterday I wanted to print it again and I see this.
Polymaker-PLA.jpg

Please let me know, why it is happened and it looks like it is garbage now.

walshlg

Re: Polymaker filament

Postby walshlg » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:46 am

moisture. dry it at 60C overnight then test again (set printbed to 60C, set filament on, cover with a cardboard box)

jmp

Postby jmp » Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:42 pm

sgeolog wrote:Hi,

I bought filament (Order #1661) and of course it was delivered. I printed black color and everything was ok. Yesterday I wanted to print it again and I see this.
Polymaker-PLA.jpg

Please let me know, why it is happened and it looks like it is garbage now.

I agree with walshlg that it is probably moisture but I have never seen a roll explode like that. While you can dry it there are too many breaks to make that roll usable. What kind of climate do you live in? You might need to look into some low humidity storage.
RL Name: Jason Preuss Thingiverse: JMP Youtube:http://youtube.com/c/patterntoprint Website: http://www.patterntoprint.com

sgeolog

Postby sgeolog » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:18 pm

It is in a box always and in a room with temperature about 70-75 degrees in F (20-23 C). Plus we have so many rolls and it is the only one. I believe it was send damaged.

2CNK

Postby 2CNK » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:26 pm

I see that same kind of shattering happen but only on the free end of the filament, and after a period of storage with it under stress like tightly pulled through the "loose end hole" on spools. I use polymaker as well but mostly PLA of various brands and happens to some extent to all of them. Never to a whole roll like that though.

It has been lessened now that I loosely thread the free end through those holes for storage, putting the least stress I can on it, but it still happens a little sometimes.

I store my partly-used filament in a sealed container that has a considerable amount of dessicant in it. Never seen it happen to the whole roll like that before.

walshlg

Postby walshlg » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:58 pm

I have had 3 brand new rolls do that, sealed and with the desicant. We went so far as to buy the filament dryer

swampy

Postby swampy » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:21 pm

i had the polymaker pc plus not a problem with it its in the garage at nice cold temps as with all my stuff its in a wardrobe and ive never had any problems ive never heard any popping sounds from my prints i must be 1 lucky guy i keep meaning to move it all to the airing cupboard in the house thats where the hot water tank is stored that way the filament will always be kept warm

sgeolog

Postby sgeolog » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:54 pm

Actually I wanted to hear something from the seller...

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:26 am

Would you like shoot a mail to support@raise3d.com. We will help check that for you.

walshlg

Postby walshlg » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:01 pm

I had a bad roll of natural polymaker, ended up tossing it out, even after treatment in the drier it was not useable.

Return to “General”