Grease ?

Thoughts about Raise3D, 3D printing and making in general.
Vicky@Raise3D

Re: Grease ?

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:53 am

chrons wrote:Hi walshig how you make pulleys aligned? because currenly my N2 is squeaking.

Would you like to make contact with us from our support system, http://help.raise3d.com/support/home? Pictures and videos which can show your problems will be better.
We have engineers there, providing one-to-one technical support to your case. And we will give detailed instruction based on the pictures and videos you share with us.

walshlg

Postby walshlg » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:42 pm

contact raise, they have a procedure written up, iirc. Move around the head with steppers disengaged and see if there is any binding.

btw you do need SOME grease to prevent corrosion

chrons

Postby chrons » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:50 pm

Okay problem Solve... the squeaking sound not come from the rod. but from the fillament holder hahaha... the factory filament holder not using bearing and squaking when the filament spool rotating

mglogue

Postby mglogue » Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:20 am

How many people are running their N2's without any grease or lube and how is it working for you?

I have been greasing mine with "Super Lube 92003 Silicone Lubricating Grease with PTFE" since I got it in March of this year -- Have I been making things worse?

I just started getting Z-Axis noise this evening so started researching it (the noise was so bad I stopped the print). I have downloaded zemlin's Anti-Rotation bars and will be trying them but now I am wondering if I haven't also been doing damage by applying the above lubricating grease on my N2+.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

JohnSays

Postby JohnSays » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:16 pm

I use grease on Z axis ball rollers and also on X-Y block because it has ball rollers too. No grease on x and y motor driven rods, but I do use a light oil.
- John
2 Raise3D N2 Duals, V2 nozzles, Bondtech BMGs, adjustable table, Panucatt SD2224 drivers, run-out sensor, thermal overload protection resistors on motion controller board, Firmware 1.1.8ABH - with Lin_Advance, Palette+

mglogue

Postby mglogue » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:09 am

Thanks for your input. Looking over all I can find on my Z-Axis noise, I don't think it was/is caused by using lubrication on either the ball rollers or the Lead screws -- although I am interested in what kind of oil you use because the grease I am using is very thick and sticky.

Do you or any other reader happen to know what model or specs the Z-Axis Stepper motor is? I have tried nearly everything I found on this site:

o belt looks good - it is tight, has no cracks or missing teeth, it turns freely (well as freely as you would expect) when the machine is off
o wires look good -- all connections are tight, no bare wire exposed
o z motor looks good -- nothing looks broken or bent
o pulley looks good
o coupler looks good -- screws are tight, shafts are firmly in place
o I swapped the Z Stepper Driver with the E1 driver as suggested by John@raise3d in post 483 -- same noise
o The 8 fixing screws for Z lead screws are loose -- although I did print and install zemlin's Anti-Rotation bars - no difference
- I have not tried a new or different motion board nor have I tried measuring the actual distance the bed moves when I use the touchscreen

What I know is that when I turn the machine on its side and run the Z-Axis up and down using the touch screen and I place my fingers on the Z-Axis Stepper I both feel and hear it "Klunk". It isn't at "regular" positions on the rotation but it "klunks" during each rotation.

So, I said all that to say that I would like to eliminate the motor itself -- unless anyone has any other things for me to try.

JohnSays

Postby JohnSays » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:39 pm

Before JetGuy told us not to use grease or oil on the graphite bearings, I was using grease and that did not cause any noises - just a sticky carriage. I put about 2 drops of 10w on those rods and that may have helped dissolve some grease that was still in the graphite bearings.

The z-axis screws run in bearings at the top and bottom. (I just removed my top bearings to eliminate any chance of an imperfectly straight screw from moving the build plate.) Anyway, could it be that a bearing has gone bad? I would suspect a bearing before a motor.

I would call TS on the phone to get some help. I have not heard of this problem before this. Please post your results here.
- John
2 Raise3D N2 Duals, V2 nozzles, Bondtech BMGs, adjustable table, Panucatt SD2224 drivers, run-out sensor, thermal overload protection resistors on motion controller board, Firmware 1.1.8ABH - with Lin_Advance, Palette+

Return to “General”