Severe warping. What to do?

Thoughts about Raise3D, 3D printing and making in general.
Noren

Severe warping. What to do?

Postby Noren » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:35 am

Hi. Printed a large Raise3D brand yellow PLA print this night. Printed from IdeaMaker app. Raft. 10% infill.
What can I do about the severe warping at the corners?
Is it caused by the heat plate not being evenly warm? Or is it due to the print? Or the settings?

The raft is sticking really well at the center.
And the print is sticking well to the raft.

IMG_8861.jpg

(I also had my first filament break :( )

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: Severe warping. What to do?

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:19 am

Check whether in that corner the distance between nozzle and build plate is too far.
And try higher bed temperature.

walshlg

Postby walshlg » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:39 pm

we are getting lots of warping at our makelab due to temperature swings, try printing with the hood on and preheat the chamber and bed 30 minutes prior to starting the print.

I also wonder about your plate, is the buildtack wearing out or dirty at the spot that is lifting? Try printing a test cube on that spot and see if it is tightly stuck while the bed is still heated.

firesped

Postby firesped » Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:34 pm

elmer glue stick! I put a bunch of it down and I haven't been getting any lift.
RL name: Michael Nolen
printers:
raise3D N2 kickstarter Early Bird
Trinus Deluxe (running smoothieware on Azteeg X5 GT board)
Monoprice Maker Select v2

Noren

Postby Noren » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:09 am

Thanks for the tips. I will recalibrate the bed. And try a higher bed temp. Would printing more shells/bottom layers have any impact on warping.
(The buldtak hadn't had any prints on that area before.)

walshlg

Postby walshlg » Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:09 pm

bottom line is its not sticking - whether from warping or low adhesion can be tested

dhylands

Postby dhylands » Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:28 pm

I had to raise my bed temp to 60C and that's made my larger prints stop warping. In my case, the aluminum bed is curved and only touches the glass at the very front and very back. So my bed needs to be at a higher temp to make the glass be at the same temp as if my aluminum bed was flat.

woofy

Postby woofy » Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:13 pm

If that's the yellow premium pla as supplied with the printer, try printing directly on glass (turn the buildtak plate over) at 80 degrees C. Give it another 10-15 mins after it reaches temperature, then start the print. It sticks like $^/$ to a blanket and falls off the plate when cool. No glue. Nothing.
Raise3D N2+, Ultimaker2 & UP plus printers.

maugseros

Postby maugseros » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:04 am

Also take into account that the temperature you set the bed at may not actually be the temperature achieved. Using a thermal gun, I found that the my actual bed temperature is about 8-10 Deg C cooler than the temperature I set the bed at.

I started printing PLA by setting the bed at 40 C. This worked fine for small footprint prints. But as the prints got bigger I started getting this same cooling, and thus the corners/edges of the raft would start to curl up, then the print head would start striking the print in the areas where this lifting occurred.

I kept upping the bed temperature until I set the bed to 70 Deg C (actual measured bed temperature about 60-62 C)... and then I haven't had any curling/lifting of ANY rafts since. Just manually set your bed temperature on the printer about 10+ minutes before starting to print. This will allow the print bed to heat up and evenly distribute the heat prior to printing.

geekhands

Postby geekhands » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:54 pm

Learned to do that same thing myself.
Not sure 10 minutes is required... I've been using 60 Deg C with Raise PLA that came with my printer.
3-5 minutes before kicking off a print.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:37 pm

And also check the distance. If the distance between nozzle tip and build surface is too far, the print will tend to warp very easily or even cannot stick to bed. If it is too near, it cannot extruder enough filament onto the bed.

Return to “General”