How can I print support structures in HIPS?

Thoughts about Raise3D, 3D printing and making in general.
xandervolt

How can I print support structures in HIPS?

Postby xandervolt » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:48 pm

I just got my Pro2 with dual extruders about a week ago and so far I love it but I want to start printing my support structures/rafting/etc. in HIPS and not sure how to go about setting it up. Are there any good resources on this? Thanks

KS_Husker

Re: How can I print support structures in HIPS?

Postby KS_Husker » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:37 pm

I would like to hear tips on this as well. I am also interested in this. I was wondering about using BVOH as well, because I've heard HIPS likes to burn up and clog nozzles. I have used BVOH before and it worked quite well with ABS.

Vicky, do you guys have any settings or tips to help us with these soluble supports on the 2nd nozzle?

xandervolt

Postby xandervolt » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:49 pm

If thats the case with HIPS then I'm more interested in hearing about tips/resources with BVOH as well. Thanks KS_Husker

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:01 pm

I personally haven't printed HIPS before. But I see that has HIPS profiles in ideaMaker, maybe it can be a easy start point for settings.
BVOH is a filament very sensitive to moisture, must be fully dried before printing.

KS_Husker

Postby KS_Husker » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:45 am

Yes, that is correct Vicky. BVOH is sensitive to moisture. I built a dry box that holds 2 spools with a tube going to the printer on my last machine. It worked well. I put a reptile heater in the bottom and a box of desiccant with a digital humidity gauge. I used a plastic container with a seal from Target. Total cost about 20$ I believe. It works great.
I tried Verbatim BVOH and couldn't get anything to stick to it, which was frustrating since it cost a bunch of money! I eventually went with the Airwolf Hydrofill material and it worked really well. I believe it is a form of BVOH. Settings are pretty much what you use for PLA. I haven't tried it in my new machine yet, but I plan to.

Return to “General”