Should we purchase new Pro2 from Raise3d or Vendor?

Thoughts about Raise3D, 3D printing and making in general.
KS_Husker

Should we purchase new Pro2 from Raise3d or Vendor?

Postby KS_Husker » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:58 pm

Well, we are going to bite the bullet and purchase a new Pro2. I am a little nervous because of multiple issues I've been seeing as being fairly common, but I am hopeful that they will all be solved and hopefully we will get a machine without these problems! Raise3d does seem to really care about their customers and their name so I'm hoping this will be a good decision.

If this printer functions as advertised, it will definitely be the best printer for our needs and price point.

So...the question is, should we but our Pro2 straight from Raise3d or through a different vendor, and if so, which one is most recommended?

I have read of some people having issues getting warrantee coverage through the vendor they purchased from so I am leaning towards purchasing from Raise3d direct but I am wondering if there are pros and cons either way?

Alex M.

Re: Should we purchase new Pro2 from Raise3d or Vendor?

Postby Alex M. » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:02 am

Really depends on where you are located and how the vendors respond. The reason I say this is that we contacted several vendors after I couldn’t get clear answers from Raise3D directly. One vendor failed to reply, another responded that I should contact Raise3D directly, and the last was actually very helpful. That last vendor didn’t really have any additional information about the (at the time, “soon to be released”) Pro2 but were very helpful explaining the pros & cons of the N Series versus other printers. In the end we decided to go with the N2 Plus because of the unknowns with the Pro2 series, its closed source firmware and price difference even after accounting for upgrades for the N2 Plus.

The purchase went great and as promised by the vendor we received our thermal protector a day after our printer. Must give props to my vendor for that since several others on the forum requested theirs before we did and got it long after.

We have so far only needed to contact the vendor once for an issue with the printer. Due to the issue (network connectivity) the vendor suggested that I submitted a ticket with Raise3D directly, which I did. It took 3 business days to get a response which only asked for S/N, purchase info and stated it was being set to someone better versed in networking. After another 3 business days I reached out to Raise3D & my vendor again with information from the forums about a possible fix. My vendor responded immediately and said they would be in touch with Raise3D. It took another 3 business days to get a response from Raise3D which simply stated that they forwarded the information to senior techs and asked me to try a firmware version which I had previously stated did not work. Unfortunately that was the last I ever heard from Raise3D support, other than here on the forum from Vicky. In the end Vicky was how I knew it was being worked on and finally resolved since Customer Support never got back to me. My vendor was in constant contact but had their hands tied as the fix required a new version of the touchscreen‘s firmware.

I must say that this forum and Vicky have been the the main source of help for any of our issues and questions. My vendor is very helpful as well but is somewhat limited in their abilities. Our impression so far of Raise3D’s sales team and help desk have not been as good for a printer of this price range. We prefer direct honesty answers without the run around and unfortunately haven’t experienced that other than from our vendor and this forum. We did however know that going in from our discussions with sales and other people’s posts about their support issues. If it weren’t for the users here and Vicky’s helpfulness we likely would have purchased a different printer.

This was a bit long winded but I hope it helps! I would recommend you read the forum posts and understand what you are getting in to before making a purchase. Raise3D does have a 30 day return period however it has a 25% restocking fee which is one of the highest I have seen and the buyer is responsible for return shipping costs.

KS_Husker

Postby KS_Husker » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:23 am

Thank you for your very informative reply. I actually wish there was someone else selling a similar machine in this price rage, but I just don't see it at this time. We really like the dual extrusion with the lifting nozzles, as this was an issue for us before when the nozzles did not lift to prevent contact with the part. We also like the size of the build platform and the rigidity of the machine and the user interface on the printer with the nice touch screen. We were also looking forward to having a built in camera, but that looks like it is a joke on this printer from what I've seen so far!!

I guess I have seen Vicky's great support on this site so I felt like there was a pretty good customer support base, but I realize after you're reply that I have read this before, that their actual customer support seems very lacking.

That being said, we are still leery of making this purchase. It's too bad, the N2 & N2+ had such high reviews, but this pro2 is looking like a mixed bag. And as you have said, if customer support is this bad, and this printer seems to be having so many issues, I'm not sure this is a good idea. I thought we were getting off the fence and deciding to pull the trigger and hope for the best, but we are still having 2nd thoughts. I'm not so sure anymore. lol

I really appreciate your input though!!

Rogman

Postby Rogman » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:42 pm

i have 3 Raise3d printers, i have the N2, N2+, and a pro2 to go along with all of the other printers we have. Every printer we have whether its a Raise3d, Rostock, Makerbot, Ultimaker, or Stratasys we have made some upgrade to the machine (i like to tinker :geek: ). I have been printing on the pro2 since we received it in June and i have not had 1 single problem! i have printed Makerflex on up to gmass tungsten on it, i have not tried PVA but have ordered some to play with. Jetguy has brought up an issue about the thermal runaway protection not being there except for a locking connector and a change from flat cabling. i agree with Jetguy on this one, it needs to be addressed. The forums have been a great help with Vicky and all the awesome members here. The bondtech extruder system on the machines are GREAT. i have bondtech on all our printers. i like the removable build plate, i have a second one that i have put silicone thermal pads on and a glass plate because i love using the Elmers purple glue sticks way better than buildtak. i ordered the printer through Raise3d and had it about a week later with no shipping costs. I do not like the way the company handles some of the new items that come out. i think they should just take a bit longer to get all their ducks in a row before releasing something. All in all i like my Raise3d printers and just wanted to say so. thanks for reading my early morning, why the heck did i post this, post. *disclaimer* (i am not a paid spokesperson for raise3d and no 3d printers were harmed in the posting of this on the forums)

KS_Husker

Postby KS_Husker » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:43 pm

Thank you Rogman for your reply as well. I am still on the fence at this point. If everything were as advertised on this printer, it would be absolutely perfect for us, but because of the many negative things I've been seeing on this new Pro2 I am looking at all my options again.

I have also convinced my employer to buy one or more of these Pro2's as well, but now I'm wondering if I should tell them to hold off until we see what's going on with this Pro2 version and if things start turning around soon. I don't want to look like a fool for talking them into this relatively expensive machine if it doesn't perform as expected. I know there are much more expensive ones out there, but even for this kind of money, people should not be seeing the problems they have been seeing.

KS_Husker

Postby KS_Husker » Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:19 pm

Well after looking at all the options I could find for hours last night, I think I have come to the conclusion that the Raise3D Pro2 is the best machine for our needs and budget. I am planning on biting the bullet and making our purchase this weekend, but I'm still trying to decide if we should buy from Raise3D or a Vendor.

I know some on here would advise against this purchase, but I am just hoping that we will get a machine that is free of defects and works as advertised and that they will release the new firmware to fix known issues quickly. I know Jetguy has some issues with the heating on the Pro2 but hopefully this will get sorted out soon and hopefully our printer will not have these issues. I also hope that if we purchase now, we will get a printer with the revision to the cable carrier also.

I appreciate any input any of you have. This is a great community on here with a lot of knowledge and good people. And Vicky is very helpful as well. This makes me feel better about this purchase as well.

Naser404

Postby Naser404 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:11 pm

dont buy this machine, its flawed, dont take my word for it, read the forums, so many people having the exact same issues and Raise tries to blame it on filament types.

I bought two Raise Pro2's not one and both have the same issues which obviously says a lot. i swear you will be making the biggest mistake, go buy the UM 5S better and same price range. below are only some the issues you will eventually face. and again please read the forums, its every where where poeple are comp,laining.

1- constant jams with PLA
2- issues with thermal cable being disconnected.
3- very very noisy machine, try the dirt cheap Prusa Mk3 and you will understand.
4- problem with extruder left feature when using both, cant bed level them without tinkering.
5- too slow to heat both extruders even when only printing with one.
6- filament sensor some times acts up cause of hole tolerences issue or traspart filament use.

Please trust my advise and look some where else or you will regret it. You might be lucky and get one that works "'intially'' but its bound to fail with the problems mentioned above. Again read the forums and read Raise reply, they dont want to man up and say they have these issues, instead they ask you to open a ticket and contact support to fix these issues.

after the 1st machine i crossed my fingers hoping i get a better machine and that the 1st one was just a bad sample cause i really like the printer and the features but after buying the 2nd i wished i could go back, if you want i have two printers that i am willing to sell at 30-40% discount but you will have to pay for shipping but even then i wouldnt recommend it.

KS_Husker

Postby KS_Husker » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:41 am

Thank you for your input Naser404. I really appreciate you taking the time to offer your experiences. I agree, it sounds like they are having quite a few issues with this printer. We are still taking this purchase over. Your input is being considered as well. Thank you. I sure wish they would turn things around and offer proper customer service, that would make these issues minor problems. But the way they are handling them from what I'm hearing is not good.

Alex M.

Postby Alex M. » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:40 pm

I am assuming you want the Raise3D for the print size and interface. Unless you absolutely need dual extruders, I would suggest the Raise3D N2 Plus from here. With the money you save you can easily add all the upgrades (Bondtech, runout sensor, camera, Buildtak Flexplate, etc). The single extruder just works and if you really need multi colors / filament get a Palette + or Palette 2.

This is the route we chose and we are VERY happy we didn't go with the Pro2. I believe eventually the Pro2 will be the machine to get but we just weren't ready to be Raise3D's beta testers while we watched our warranty run out.

KS_Husker

Postby KS_Husker » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:41 am

lol, good point. Yes, we do quite a few prints where the soluble support material is very useful, the problem we ran into with our previous printer was the nozzles contacting the print when not in use and causing issues. I really like the lifting nozzles on the Pro2. I will look into your idea on the N2Plus though. Thank you for your input!! I'm not really wanting to be a beta tester either. I just want it to work out of the box. That's why we got rid of our last couple of printers!! And the customer support became horrible. Which I'm hearing can be an issue here also.

dm7864

Postby dm7864 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:55 pm

KS_Husker, We are in the same boat and have been following your posts. Not sure which way we are leaning but agree with you on many issues. I like the Pro 2 but don't feel to comfortable about support not answering your post with solid answers. I have been looking at three printers and like yourself want to pull the trigger so to speak.

KS_Husker

Postby KS_Husker » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:51 pm

Well, against all advice we made our purchase of a Pro2 today. I just couldn't find another printer that offered what we wanted as far as size, dual nozzles, lifting nozzles, and high quality prints. We gave in and made the purchase today. Without getting much advice on different vendors we decided to check a few prices and Profound3d had a popup offering 6 free rolls of PLA, but I really wanted to buy from Matterhackers because I feel like they have some of the best customer service and expertise. I called them and they matched that offer so we bought from them.

Hopefully we have good luck with our printer. About all I can do now is cross my fingers and hope we have good luck with it. Thank you all for your advice, I know this isn't what others were urging us to do but I also help our printing department at my employer and they have a N2+. It's a great machine. We have gotten great support, but this is also a large company so I take that with a grain of salt. I have also gotten approval to get a Pro2 for our fab shop, so I'm hoping with this new printer at my work we can leverage what I learn on that one to go with our personal business printer if needed.

I will be putting up videos and posts on our experiences good or bad with this printer. I know people usually only post the negative things, so I will do my best to do the positives as well.

I really like Raise3d from my experiences with them so far, and I think once they get these issues worked out this will be one of the best companies to work with again.

Return to “General”