Suddenly stopping extrusion.

Thoughts about Raise3D, 3D printing and making in general.
basilfawlty

Suddenly stopping extrusion.

Postby basilfawlty » Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:40 pm

I've been printing steadily for a month with eSun ABS+ filament with no extrusions issues. As of two days ago most jobs fail because the printer stops extruding. I don't see any issues on the roll end so I assume it's on the nozzle end. I can unload the filament no problem and when I reload it comes out without any issue. The filament looks a little burned but that's to be expected I guess since it was getting cooked in the nozzle for so long. Each time, the filament is chewed up in the extruder where the gear is. I've tried nozzle temperatures from 240-260 and it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Other than trying another roll of filament, are there other things I should investigate?
Raise3D N2+

Mecha_Monster

Re: Suddenly stopping extrusion.

Postby Mecha_Monster » Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:55 pm

I print ABS (IC3D) at 220 deg., higher temp was burning the plastic and the residues kept clogging my nozzle. It looks like the debris just goof around inside of the nozzle and occlude it when they fell like; an intermittent issue. Procure to print as cool as possible, that worked for me.

by the way, you can visually notice when something is partially occluding your nozzle. With your fans covered, extrude plastic, it should come out straight without bending or curling to any side. Any variations may suggest something inside of the nozzle.

walshlg

Postby walshlg » Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:44 pm

to clean nozzles - remove them and heat up to red hot with a propane torc and all the plastic will quickly burn out, then use a fine wire to make sure the nozzle is clear.

basilfawlty

Postby basilfawlty » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:53 pm

Thanks for the suggestions.

The filament extrudes cleanly during loading. No curling. That's the strange part. Everything works so smoothly when I unload/reload.

I think it's a good idea to give the nozzle a cleaning anyway so I'll see if that helps. I do have a new nozzle as well so I can test that one out while I tidy up the dirty one.
Raise3D N2+

basilfawlty

Postby basilfawlty » Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:09 am

Brand new nozzle = Failed.

Trying a new roll of filament.
Raise3D N2+

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:49 am

Or maybe an improper gear distance.
Try grab the filament when auto-loading with your hand.
If you can easily drag the filament out, the distance may be too far.
If the extrude gear jumps back a lot when dragging out, the distance may be too close.

basilfawlty

Postby basilfawlty » Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:10 am

Thanks Vicky. I'll try that out next.

Do you have any documentation or a video on adjusting the gear distance?
Raise3D N2+

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:48 am

The extrude motor is fixed by these four screws.
Motor Fixing Screws.png
Motor Fixing Screws.png (244.37 KiB) Viewed 1309 times

Please loose the screws to adjust the position of the gear. There has a little tolerance for you to adjust.

If the gear is too far to the bearing -- the distance is too big, you can shim some thin piece at this side of the motor.
Extruder Shim.jpg

walshlg

Postby walshlg » Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:48 pm

another thought is this may be plastic adhered to the isolation tube. Heat up the hotend with no nozzle and run the 1.5mm wire down into the hotend. There should be NO filament on it. If there is then it may be a thin layer stuck to / lining the isolation tube. keep using the rod to clean it out or take it out completely and bake it in an oven.

basilfawlty

Postby basilfawlty » Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:23 am

I reduced the gear distance and that seems to have helped. A 45 hour print completed without a problem. I've got another long print started to make sure it wasn't luck. I changed the quality settings from speed to fine and changed the temperature to really test it out.

Thanks for the advice from everyone. I've learned a lot this week. )
Raise3D N2+

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:26 am

Good to see a feedback of whether the solution is useful.
It may be helpful to latecomers.
Look forward to your final result.

basilfawlty

Postby basilfawlty » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:25 pm

Bad news. Another clog. This one was very frustrating in hour 42 of a 4 44 hour print. :(
Raise3D N2+

Trhuster

Postby Trhuster » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:46 pm

basilfawlty wrote:Bad news. Another clog. This one was very frustrating in hour 42 of a 4 44 hour print. :(

Sad to hear that, it is not fun to loose a print after so many hours.

basilfawlty

Postby basilfawlty » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:28 pm

I see a bondtech extruder in my future. :)
Raise3D N2+

Trhuster

Postby Trhuster » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:35 pm

basilfawlty wrote:I see a bondtech extruder in my future. :)

Please don't steal mine while i am sleeping! :shock:

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:10 am

When you find no extrusion this time, can you reload the filament out properly after stop the print?

basilfawlty

Postby basilfawlty » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:54 am

Hi Vicky. I unload it every time it stops. I unload it from the extruder, pull out the filament and trim off about 30cm and then reload it.

I wish I knew what the actual problem was. The extruder gears are as tight as they can get. I'm not sure if the filament is defective (I have 30 rolls of it!) or if it's a problem with the printer.
Raise3D N2+

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:53 pm

If you don't want to do the Bondtech upgrade, then at least try an alternate gear. This gear is proven to be much sharper and harder teeth and bites the filament much better. https://www.3dp2go.com/38-teeth-steel-e ... k2fipjndi7
Alternatively, the next best gear i have tested first hand is this from Monoprice http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=12133

Don't go on Ebay and find a look alike, only upgrade to one of the 2 sources I provided. There are forums upon forums of proof that so many look alikes simply are not the same.

Again, I put 2 of those in a local N2 and the user went from problems just like you are having to working instantly. It makes that much of a difference. I still know the Bondtech is the best because it replaces the entire system and grips on both sides of the filament with spring pressure rather than a fixed distance, but a sharper gear in the stock feeder is a close second and could solve your headache.

Charles

Postby Charles » Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:18 pm

I purchased the gear that Jetguy suggested above. It has worked great. Can't explain it, but my printer extrusion sounds different now. There is a different hum. Don't know if the load on the motors is different now?

basilfawlty

Postby basilfawlty » Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:00 pm

Thanks for the advice. That might be a great first step.
Raise3D N2+

Return to “General”