Part Shifting Again Again and Again

Thoughts about Raise3D, 3D printing and making in general.
wo4sunhao

Part Shifting Again Again and Again

Postby wo4sunhao » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:13 pm

I have sent coupe tickets and post about part shifting already but none of them really solve my problem.

So I just want to ask again to see if here are any new solutions come up.

Here are all settings or possible reason cause part shifting I have checked.

1. I used sharpie to mark on the belt to check if belt skid.
2. I used sharpie to mark between glass and print bed to check if glass moved.
3. I clean and lubricate all the shaft.
4.Checked the bed level.
5.Turn on retract hop setting and set it at .05+layer height
6.Check the gantry alignment. Use guide from the technical support to re-align it.
7. I use a macro to check my g-ode file and here is no problem.

Then here is description of the shift. It happened on both short print and long print. It happened on both direction. Here is no constant layer where shift happened. Here is not constant shifting distance.

So is there any other thing I can check? The only thing i can think of is electronic problem.

maxamillo

Re: Part Shifting Again Again and Again

Postby maxamillo » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:25 pm

How is the bed adhesion? Is the part curling up at all?

wo4sunhao

Postby wo4sunhao » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:40 pm

maxamillo wrote:How is the bed adhesion? Is the part curling up at all?

Adhesion is good I put glue on the glass. The nozzle did not hit the part.

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:10 pm

It could be a failed motor to shaft coupler. If the motor was even slightly misaligned, these couplers fail in short order (days or weeks) because every rotation of the shaft fatigues the already thin aluminum.
viewtopic.php?t=1281
Attachments
Coupler broken.jpeg
20161217_190615.jpg
IMG_20161017_234715_s.jpg

wo4sunhao

Postby wo4sunhao » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:07 pm

Jetguy wrote:It could be a failed motor to shaft coupler. If the motor was even slightly misaligned, these couplers fail in short order (days or weeks) because every rotation of the shaft fatigues the already thin aluminum.
viewtopic.php?t=1281

The problem is the shifting is not a constant problem. It happened sometimes and sometimes it will not happen for the whole month.

FYI how to figure out if the coupler is good

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:16 am

Has the technician asked you to check and try anything in electronic area?

wo4sunhao

Postby wo4sunhao » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:09 pm

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:Has the technician asked you to check and try anything in electronic area?

No, they didn't tell me to check anything in electronic area yet.

Also, this is what I am thinking of right now. I check all possible mechanical and thermal problems but none of them really work. Electronic part is the only part I did not do any test yet.

DS2017

Postby DS2017 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:57 pm

how often does this happen? layer shift does happen once in a while.....mostly due to the nozzle striking the model. and it can occur most often in complex models with many overhangs (lack of adhesion to the previous layer creates more curl).

Alex M.

Postby Alex M. » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:44 pm

We recently had our printer start doing layer shifts on every single print. I dug into the machine to see what I could find and did finally resolve the issue after finding two possible causes.

I'm not exactly sure which issue was the problem or maybe a combination of both, but I found one of the toothed pulleys was loose and I also found that one of the stepper drivers for X or Y (can't remember which) was set at 0.72V instead of the default 0.9V. I therefore went through the procedure to align the gantry and also dialed the stepper drivers to 0.9V. I started a test print and all looked good but the stepper motors seemed to be getting a bit too warm so I reset the stepper drivers to 0.85V. Ever since the printer hasn't skipped a beat and everything has been printing great!

Based on what you have already done, I would definitely look at the stepper motor drive voltage and check your stepper motor temperature after a bit of printing.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:31 pm

I would suggest to start with switching X & Y stepper drivers with each other to see whether issue changes direction or not, but it is recommended to be done under the our technicians' instructions.

wo4sunhao

Postby wo4sunhao » Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:14 pm

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:I would suggest to start with switching X & Y stepper drivers with each other to see whether issue changes direction or not, but it is recommended to be done under the our technicians' instructions.

The problem is i have shift happened on both direction, so is it worth to try switching x y step driver?

Alex M.

Postby Alex M. » Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:19 pm

I would definitely look at the stepper motor drive voltage and check your stepper motor temperature after a bit of printing.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:32 am

If you get shifting on both sides, then driver switching won't help.

Try this, screen screen the extruder from home position to center to move both X and Y direction. And keep the motors enabled (don't touch the disable button), hand push the extruder gently to see whether it is possible for you to move it around or not.

wo4sunhao

Postby wo4sunhao » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:10 pm

Alex M. wrote:I would definitely look at the stepper motor drive voltage and check your stepper motor temperature after a bit of printing.

so what temperature and voltage it should be?

wo4sunhao

Postby wo4sunhao » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:13 pm

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:If you get shifting on both sides, then driver switching won't help.

Try this, screen screen the extruder from home position to center to move both X and Y direction. And keep the motors enabled (don't touch the disable button), hand push the extruder gently to see whether it is possible for you to move it around or not.

so you mean during the print head is moving, I need to try to move head by push the nozzle?

Alex M.

Postby Alex M. » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:49 pm

wo4sunhao wrote:
Alex M. wrote:I would definitely look at the stepper motor drive voltage and check your stepper motor temperature after a bit of printing.

so what temperature and voltage it should be?

I am assuming you have an N2 or N2 Plus, if so the stock driver voltage set point is 0.9V, however several people have found that too high (motors hot to the touch) so they run at 0.85V instead. See the PDF here for the setting procedure, but set X & Y (bottom two drivers) instead of E0 & E1 (top two drivers) shown in the procedure. The Black lead of the meter go to the same location regardless of driver.

You might also read another user's similar issues in this post: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5268&p=33339&hilit=driver+voltage#p23873

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:21 am

wo4sunhao wrote:
Vicky@Raise3D wrote:If you get shifting on both sides, then driver switching won't help.

so you mean during the print head is moving, I need to try to move head by push the nozzle?

After the extruder reaches to the defined position and stops. Then try push by hand.

wo4sunhao

Postby wo4sunhao » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:26 pm

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:
wo4sunhao wrote:

After the extruder reaches to the defined position and stops. Then try push by hand.

I just tried the head won't move at any position.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:57 pm

Does shifting happen on no matter what model or only on specific files?
Does shifting happen always at similar height or random?

wo4sunhao

Postby wo4sunhao » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:27 pm

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:Does shifting happen on no matter what model or only on specific files?
Does shifting happen always at similar height or random?

The shift happened at all different height. Even for same model, the shift sometimes happen at very beginning sometimes at very end.
Also, it happened at different shape of model. Here is one clue i found in common right now. The shift most likely happened at the layer require lot of zig-zag and direction changing rapidly layer. Also, it most likely happened when the layer is a solid infill layer.

Return to “General”