MatterHacker Pro PLA Problems

Thoughts about Raise3D, 3D printing and making in general.
Russ406

MatterHacker Pro PLA Problems

Postby Russ406 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:53 pm

I recently purchased this PLA from matter hackers and am having trouble with it in my Pro2. The symptoms are it basically acts like it's jammed but it isn't? Almost like the drive gears are slipping. This pro PLA is supposed to have better dimensional accuracy on its diameter so it doesn't make sense. Sometimes it just skips a layer or two, or just completely stops extruding. As you can see from the first video below when I do "load" filament it extrudes so it's not jammed but you can see there is a gap in extrusion. I also have a video w/o filament loaded where you can hear a clicking sound. Is this normal? I've tried different G-code settings w/o much help and the printer prints Hatchbox or Raise PLA w/o issue. Any Suggestions?

Link to PLA - https://www.matterhackers.com/store/l/pro-series-lightblue-pla-filament-1.75mm/sk/MG1PLCSK

Part Image - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AbTwVHB14c5lWEynZ9bzwiovRBsy8Sh3/view?usp=sharing

Video 1 - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lBZiHsFaH6EV7CizPSDx9ueGgP92yL6O/view?usp=sharing

Video 2(clicking) - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Tb61p1J5IgbXeuu4Od45EFaIbIlL8pIo/view?usp=sharing

crimsonyoshi

Re: MatterHacker Pro PLA Problems

Postby crimsonyoshi » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:52 pm

There's another user having some trouble with Prima PRO PLA. No confirmed resolution yet in that thread, but have a read and see if there's similarities: http://forum.raise3d.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13160

Post #7 might help?

Russ406

Postby Russ406 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:10 pm

Thank you I should of searched before making this post! Appreciate the link!

Edit: After reading the post I see a common suggestion is temperature. The PLA says to print 205 +- 15 degrees. I've tried that entire range w/o much difference. Maybe I'll try even hotter just to see. It did print maybe 3 parts fine before I started having these issues. I did look into the gear drive area and notice there was a decent build up of blue plastic inside the teeth so I brushed that out but it did not help in the end. Or maybe it's just gumming back up again and then slipping on the filament?

DragonXtreme

Postby DragonXtreme » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:13 pm

I have used a lot of MatterHackers PLA on my N2+ and I have the bondtech upgrade. Though I have had very few issues with their filaments I did run into an issue with one of my 10lb rolls a couple weeks ago that are very reminiscent of what you are experiencing. I got hold of them and explained what was going on and that it wasn't happening on the other rolls I had from them, they asked for the batch number and sent out a replacement roll the same day along with a return label for the roll that was giving me issues. I noticed on the roll I sent back that the filament had brittle sections in it. You could bend it 90 degrees every 2 inches then you would hit a spot that would not bend without snapping. You might want to see if that is the case with your roll, especially around the areas where you are getting the jamming.

crimsonyoshi

Postby crimsonyoshi » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:07 pm

DragonXtreme wrote:I have used a lot of MatterHackers PLA on my N2+ and I have the bondtech upgrade. Though I have had very few issues with their filaments I did run into an issue with one of my 10lb rolls a couple weeks ago that are very reminiscent of what you are experiencing. I got hold of them and explained what was going on and that it wasn't happening on the other rolls I had from them, they asked for the batch number and sent out a replacement roll the same day along with a return label for the roll that was giving me issues. I noticed on the roll I sent back that the filament had brittle sections in it. You could bend it 90 degrees every 2 inches then you would hit a spot that would not bend without snapping. You might want to see if that is the case with your roll, especially around the areas where you are getting the jamming.

Just to tag on to this, it absolutely can be the batch or brand of plastic. Careful you don't go too hot. You run the risk of the filament expanding too early. If that happens, you'll hear gear clicking and it'll be tough (but not impossible) to pull back out.

Russ406

Postby Russ406 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:07 pm

I'll interrogate the filament today and see if I can find any quality issues. Thanks for the suggestions.

Return to “General”