Palette 2 Integration with N-Series

Thoughts about Raise3D, 3D printing and making in general.
EL Cuajinais

Palette 2 Integration with N-Series

Postby EL Cuajinais » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:32 pm

Can anyone here elaborate on what is planned for this? I heard a fair amount of complaints with regards to the Palette + and was wondering if the integration and new design cures them. Super excited by the prospect of multi-material printing on my single extruder N2. Also Jetguy, can you please speak to the reliability of PVA supports using the Pallete 2? Does it really work? From what I’ve seen it look like Ultimaker has been the only printer to do this reliably. That would be my main interest, soluble supports.

Jetguy

Re: Palette 2 Integration with N-Series

Postby Jetguy » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:45 am

I can give you what I know:
#1 I tried PVA support, specifically E3D Scaffold specific PVA with the palette+ and ran a few test prints. I do not use soluble support on a regular basis simply because I'll cut a model and print in ways not needing support and often get a better print than any hack job that requires support. Just saying that so you understand, I don't believe soluble support is the answer in 90% of use cases, and any wall ever supported regardless of material looks like it was supported (aka less than perfect surface finish). I used the N1 with a Bondteche extruder and at the time V2 hotend (I've since upgraded to E3D hotends and put my V2s in the drawer). Sorry, I wish I had pictures, but I stupidly used my ultrasonic tank to clean the support material and someone switched on the tank heater- so the parts deformed from the heat. Again, nothing wrong with using ultrasonic- just don't heat PLA in water to say 100C and then wonder why it deforms into a mess.

#2 I am a beta tester for the Palette 2. We only just got them Monday (just before the announcement) it's crippled without matching chroma2 profiles and not yet enabled in the cloud, nor do we yet have Canvas hubs- related to it not yet being cloud enabled.
The new Palette 2 is very nice, and the one extra nice thing, it now is sized to fit into the filament bay of a N2/N2 Plus Pro2, Pro2 Plus unlike the previous shoebox sized palette+. They are working on firmware and software for printing, so right now I am only testing slicing and general reliablity and I can say that the new splice core is amazing, and better than the swing in hot tool of the previous generation. It's more reliable, it heats and cools faster for the faster splicing cycle. The new touschreen menu is amazing and the faster processor is evident

#3 Integration. They are using a plugin in Octoprint to dual stream both the gcode file to the printer mainboard and the MSF (Mosaic SEEM File) to the palette at the same time. So as such, you would have to run octoprint rather than the raise touch application and install the plugin. What i'm saying is- entirely possible to do this, and they are pledging to make the Canvas hub something a DIY user can add to an octoprint install. It would require Raise 3D to potentially work with them and collaborate to integrate into raise touch. What i'm saying- not a clean integration if Raise is not working with them and this is a DIY hack but definitely possible, definitely could function, just might lose the Raise 3D GUI.

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:49 am

Again, there are specifics that make the new Palette 2 a better fit and can work very nicely with Raise 3D printers- maybe better integration than the previous + series. It also is improved, more reliable, faster, better user interface, and extremely friendly price.
Yes, there is a way to integrate and i will test that and share- as soon as they give me the software.

BTW, I'm definitely ordering the Pro version as I run larger nozzles and larger nozzles needs speed. The Pro has the improved splicecore for the fastest possible splicing. Unfortunately, the beta test is non-pro units, but the main upgrade is splice core and that is of course locked to the pro version.

Korni

Postby Korni » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:13 pm

Good idea to support Palette 2 (Pro) with R3D (Pro2 Plus) Printer !!!
Pro2+ Image

sylus

Postby sylus » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:27 pm

P2/P2P plugin for Raisetouch was clearly the best way for Raise3D printer ( CANVASHUB not requiered) .Hope MMGF and RAISE3D will do it.

EL Cuajinais

Postby EL Cuajinais » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:49 am

Thanks for all the info Jetguy!
Two things from your reply especially stand out to me:

1. The canvas 2 fits inside the N2! That's great! So you just need to make 4 some very small holes to the large side door for the 4 filaments to come in? (Assuming the 4 spools sit on the floor next to the printer that should sit on a table)?

2. Your dislike of soluble supports in 90% of cases has me thinking; I can see how splitting up a model would be good in many cases. But then, that requires a lot of gluing, (and possibly filling, and possibly painting). I'd love to hear what are your go-to materials and your go-to glue. There are also structural considerations, of course that is what the other 10% is for I guess. And by the way if you publish a book I would buy it in a heartbeat. I feel bad asking for your advice all the time. This issue of supports vs. cutting up a model and gluing could be a very interesting chapter in such a book. I wonder what type of printing you do most. Your trinket to functional parts ratio if you will.

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:25 pm

EL Cuajinais wrote:Thanks for all the info Jetguy!
Two things from your reply especially stand out to me:

1. The canvas 2 fits inside the N2! That's great! So you just need to make 4 some very small holes to the large side door for the 4 filaments to come in? (Assuming the 4 spools sit on the floor next to the printer that should sit on a table)?

2. Your dislike of soluble supports in 90% of cases has me thinking; I can see how splitting up a model would be good in many cases. But then, that requires a lot of gluing, (and possibly filling, and possibly painting). I'd love to hear what are your go-to materials and your go-to glue. There are also structural considerations, of course that is what the other 10% is for I guess. And by the way if you publish a book I would buy it in a heartbeat. I feel bad asking for your advice all the time. This issue of supports vs. cutting up a model and gluing could be a very interesting chapter in such a book. I wonder what type of printing you do most. Your trinket to functional parts ratio if you will.

#1 Yes, you could do it that way, I'm hoping that I can come up with a way to just add 2 more spool holders in the bottom of the bay area rather than drilling more holes. I'm trying to find that printable one that goes in the base, I've seen it dozens of times but searching this morning I'm coming up blank.
That said, debate time:
Do you just place the Palette 2 now on the top deck since you may want easier access to the controls and so forth, or do you mount it in the bay area and then have to open the door. I guess if you want to go down that road, one could cut the door and mount the palette2 flush when the door is closed.

#2 I print mostly cool objects, trinkets if you will, or a lot of mechanical functional objects (say like the robotic arm). Sadly, you'd think I had some business printing or making much more, but lately I've slowed down a bit due to other projects and tech interests. If I cut something, depending on the object, things that work extremely well for me. #1 hot glue with canned air (turned upside down) to chill it to prevent heat from distorting adjacent areas, followed by good old Gorilla brand super glue- often use a catalyst accelerator spray from the model hobby industry, followed last by epoxy for those projects that need extra strength.

EL Cuajinais

Postby EL Cuajinais » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:30 pm

Jetguy wrote:#2 I print mostly cool objects, trinkets if you will, or a lot of mechanical functional objects (say like the robotic arm). Sadly, you'd think I had some business printing or making much more, but lately I've slowed down a bit due to other projects and tech interests. If I cut something, depending on the object, things that work extremely well for me. #1 hot glue with canned air (turned upside down) to chill it to prevent heat from distorting adjacent areas, followed by good old Gorilla brand super glue- often use a catalyst accelerator spray from the model hobby industry, followed last by epoxy for those projects that need extra strength.

Thanks for the reply again Jetguy, I’ll be looking at your adhesive techniques when the time comes. I’ve just stuck to super glue and acetone (ABS only). I must say on the subject of “cool objects”, I find that the Face Hugger is by far the coolest thing I’ve ever 3D printed. And incidentally it was designed to be glued together rather than printed with supports, so there you go.

Great Halloween Decoration!
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1116392

Korni

Postby Korni » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:03 am

Hello, is there news or information about the integration of Palette 2 Pro and Raise3D Pro2 printers?????
Pro2+ Image

Billucas

Postby Billucas » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:49 am

Korni wrote:Hello, is there news or information about the integration of Palette 2 Pro and Raise3D Pro2 printers?????

Yes? I Will received my Palette 2 pro soon. ... for my N2 plus.

Korni

Postby Korni » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:27 am

That's nice, but for Pro2 users not soooo interesting ... reports anyway ;-)
Pro2+ Image

Return to “General”