Just Released N2 Pro

Thoughts about Raise3D, 3D printing and making in general.
Ben Roj

Re: Just Released N2 Pro

Postby Ben Roj » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:22 pm

newraiseuser wrote:
Ben Roj wrote:I heard from local reseller that Ultimaker is releasing Ultimaker 3 XL with 30x30x30cm build area soon.

How soon will that be?

I think it is this one, bigger Ultimaker 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mCzTBFDyBg

Thank Jetguy for the screenshot, the insulator socket has raise3D logo stamp on it, hope it will be an oem part coming with the new model

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:14 am

Ben Roj wrote:Matterhacker has the new pro2 demo unit on display now. If anyone has a chance to visit them, might want to check it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OK_cm8eobCk

Does anyone know where I can get the silicone sockets shown in the video?

The structures of hot end on N series and Pro2 series are not the same. We currently only have designed silicone cover for Pro2 series.

Ben Roj

Postby Ben Roj » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:53 am

Thank you vicky for the info. Glad to know that these sockets will come as standard part now.

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:
Ben Roj wrote:Matterhacker has the new pro2 demo unit on display now. If anyone has a chance to visit them, might want to check it out.

The structures of hot end on N series and Pro2 series are not the same. We currently only have designed silicone cover for Pro2 series.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:02 am

Turbo442 wrote:I am confused, why would Raise3D be shipping the initial batch Pro2 printers with a bunch of 3d printed parts? I would be very disappointed if I paid $4000 for a professional grade printer to find a bunch of 3d printed upgrades all over the thing? Wouldn't it make more sense to develop the molded parts properly and release the new product line when it is ready for production?

The use of 3D printed parts in new products is becoming more and more common. Most Customers will not realize it, because there will be no impact on performance. This is the case, due to the hardware development process. To produce parts by injection molding or other traditional manufacturing processes, requires a long period of preparation that may be difficult to include in the very beginning of a new product. Therefore, what is called “bridge manufacturing” is becoming more common and helping companies, like Raise3D, to bring new products to market. By Pathfinding Flexible Manufacturing we want exactly to promote the value of bridge manufacturing as a way to shorten the new product launches’ cycles.

SpaceNinjaPirate

Postby SpaceNinjaPirate » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:07 am

I just had a crazy question that was mostly spun from the Matterhackers video that was posted here in the thread. In that video, the castle they printed apparently took 15 days. So out of curiosity, is it possible for the Pro2 printers especially (since it has a filament sensor) to have the option when the first nozzle runs out of filament, for the second nozzle to take over printing where the first left off?

It's not a necessity or anything, really just a question that arose from the castle build in that video given the amount of time and the amount of filament that must have consumed.

Billucas

Postby Billucas » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:23 pm

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:The use of 3D printed parts in new products is becoming more and more common.

If there is 3d printed parts made by Raise3d, I hope they will put more quality on the material used and a better external finish.
Because I have seen ugly parts sometime in the past. And if we look on the pictures of the Pro2, I propose you put more quality on those parts, please. It would be great to share the stl files also, in case of people want to remake them.

Noren

Postby Noren » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:48 pm

I would also see that Raise3D would use this kind of thinking that Vicky talks about for there old printers as well. To improve current printers with downloadable parts. Much like the Prusa community.

ruggie

Postby ruggie » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:00 pm

SpaceNinjaPirate wrote:So out of curiosity, is it possible for the Pro2 printers especially (since it has a filament sensor) to have the option when the first nozzle runs out of filament, for the second nozzle to take over printing where the first left off?

This is an EXCELLENT idea, especially given the larger build volume!

jetdillo

Postby jetdillo » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:58 am

ruggie wrote:
SpaceNinjaPirate wrote:So out of curiosity, is it possible for the Pro2 printers especially (since it has a filament sensor) to have the option when the first nozzle runs out of filament, for the second nozzle to take over printing where the first left off?

This is an EXCELLENT idea, especially given the larger build volume!

I think this is also an excellent idea, but it could be hard to implement.

It could be quite difficult because of the nature of G-Code. It's a long string of absolute positions and discrete actions the print head is commanded to do, generated by the slicer, run by the printer from start to finish w/ out any sort of feedback loop or analysis of the state of the print or results of the last action.

You *might* be able to do this if you were to generate a second G-Code program for the other nozzle when you're doing the slicing, but it would still be challenging. You'd have to be able to guarantee that you could pick up with the other set of instructions exactly where you left off with the first set, accounting for path optimizations that the slicer might generate for one nozzle/head vs. the other. Your G-Code file would also be (approx, ) twice as big for every time you wanted to use this feature.

Ben Roj

Postby Ben Roj » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:18 am

I had seen BCN3D Sigmax dual printing and I like the feature when dual printing, the unused nozzle will have temperature drop down to around 150-160c to minimized the oozing and kickback when it is about to switch back to do the printing. Though this might not work for Raise3D Pro2 as it is not Independent Extruder like Sigmax.

Ben Roj

Postby Ben Roj » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:04 pm

Now Ultimaker S5 show all the details and I will say that Pro2 Plus seem like a better value on the paper.

They are almost same price USD5,999 (r) vs USD5,995 (u), different build volume 280x305x605 (r) vs 330x240x300mm (u)

Ultimaker S5 come with various swap-able print heads and 2 types of print bed for different kinds of materials which I hope Raise3D can have something like this in the near future.

The 3D printer for prosumer look like the price is shooting upwards recently as more business customers try to adopt this technology whereas consumer/diy 3D printer price is hitting rock bottom.

newraiseuser

Postby newraiseuser » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:54 pm

So there is no Ultimaker XL but S5? The build volume is so so but the cost is too high for me.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:14 am

Ben Roj wrote:Now Ultimaker S5 show all the details and I will say that Pro2 Plus seem like a better value on the paper.

They are almost same price USD5,999 (r) vs USD5,995 (u), different build volume 280x305x605 (r) vs 330x240x300mm (u)

Ultimaker S5 come with various swap-able print heads and 2 types of print bed for different kinds of materials which I hope Raise3D can have something like this in the near future.

The 3D printer for prosumer look like the price is shooting upwards recently as more business customers try to adopt this technology whereas consumer/diy 3D printer price is hitting rock bottom.

As far as based on the current information we currently known on hand, the reason why Ultimaker has different types of swap-able print heads and print beds is for adapting different types of material. But the filament which are listed for Pro2 series have all passed with our standard extruder, nozzle and print surface. So we have no plan to develop different types of print heads and beds as ours can work properly with different filaments by default.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:45 am

Ben Roj wrote:Thank you vicky for the info. Glad to know that these sockets will come as standard part now.

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:

Just got some news from R&D. That we are going to have silicone cover also for N series' hotend. More information will be released soon.

Alex M.

Postby Alex M. » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:17 am

Great news! Thanks for the update. :)

Ben Roj

Postby Ben Roj » Wed May 02, 2018 10:59 am

The latest video showing how to set up the new Pro2.

I can see that they are using injection parts for the extruder filament monitor section and fan vent now, look much better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mC6hPuFdYKg

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Wed May 02, 2018 11:14 am

And, just commented on that video, there are 2 minor things in the video and voice over.
First is a simple wording explanation of moving the Z axis to free the trapped box below it.
"Minor wording, you mean press the Z axis homing icon to move the Z axis to the origin (AKA homed position)."
Technically, on the LCD, we have had a grammatical error for a long time, the popup dialog is missing the word "to" origin. Really it should say something more informative to the new user, more like caution, about to move the Z axis table up, ensure bed is clear- that that's just a new suggestion altogether. I would think the video voice over might be better if it said the same thing, maybe even explain origin to the new user. I'm not saying go in depth, but again, just seeing how some of these terms are very CNC knowledge based, there is room for improvement if you are targeting this printer at a new audience of even less experienced users who demand it to "just work".

Second, when loading filament:
Pro tip: Cut off the tip of your filament that you are loading as the video shows the bent end of the filament, most likely from shipping through the hole in the side of the spool to keep it unraveling. The idea here is that end whip of the filament is often brittle and the bend may prevent proper loading. This is pretty much standard advice for every 3D printer, and yet the video is showing bad habits to new users. This concern is even greater since you have to pass through the filament detection module and then still pray the filament loads into the new Bondtech feeder.

Ben Roj

Postby Ben Roj » Thu May 03, 2018 1:10 am

Another video, summarized all the upgrade features of Pro2. There are holes on the side panel to accommodate larger spool size, possibly just recently added.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keFzOfHw1Nw

Stanislav

Postby Stanislav » Thu May 03, 2018 7:54 am

And who, and for what reason, removes the videos and photos
Stanislav

there is always a smarter man than you

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Wed May 30, 2018 1:13 pm

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:Just got some news from R&D. That we are going to have silicone cover also for N series' hotend. More information will be released soon.

When can we expect an update on Pro2 upgrades for existing customers?
It's the end of the month, it's been asked for over and over and over, you had your chance to sell Pro2s to folks willing to buy them, now it's clear many have taken the "wait and see" and what we've seen, hasn't been exactly jaw dropping.

That said, many of us still have our non-pro and are looking to at least get basic features talked about since the kickstarter.
So specifically:
What's the deal with the camera for non-pro? This is not hard, and yet, it's near June 2018 and we still don't have this.
You just said R&D knows about the hotend insulating sock covers- that should be available the day you typed the reply.

What about a kit of a replacement touchscreen "box" and new 32 bit mainboard? I know full well you won't offer tech support, but again, bottom line, I'm NOT buying a Pro2 anytime soon, you aren't sending me one for review, this is the way forward.
Since I now know you are using Leadshine stepper drivers (I mean really, why on EARTH are you not able to say that when asked?) I could buy them from you or source them on my own. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8460&p=31272&hilit=pro2#p30980
15268898832577928557878425048919.jpg

Again, all I want to see listed are the Pro2 touchscreen and mainboard and matching extruder head breakout board.

If you decide to list the parts to make the moving nozzle, great for those asking.
Same with the bed and endstops, and for those who cannot make one, the wiring harness.

I say this, because I know enough to know right now:
#1 the required combination is the Pro2 touchscreen and Pro2 mainboard and extruder head breakout. These 3 components make the bulk of the upgrade system. Yes, you need external stepper drivers, but since they are external, the user can select and use whatever they want.
#2 the moving nozzle system uses a standard RC style servo. As such, the mainboard honestly cannot tell if it's plugged in or not. This means the moving nozzles is not a "required" part of the upgrade to change the electronics.
#3 filament detection has not cracked up to be as great as advertised, and as such, I think the DIY community has the edge. Since this feature can be disabled in firmware, not required as part of the "upgrade"
#4 While the endstops for Pro2 are 3 wire opticals, again, not an absolute "requirement" and 2 wire switch endstops can be made to work.

Again, for those of us with significant upgrades already invested in our printers to be the way we like them, we are not interested in ditching them just to go to a Pro2 series. We are however, willing within reason to make further upgrades to bring our machines to the next level specification with the features we most want.

Return to “General”