End of roll issue

SniperSK

End of roll issue

Postby SniperSK » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:58 am

I encountered a new issue with my printer and wanted to ask if someone else also experienced it, so that I can prepare for it to happen again in future projects.

I started a print job knowing that the filament would run out during print but hey there is the filament sensor so nothing to worry right?
When I checked back the printer was still 'printing' but the filament roll was empty und the print head just moved around in the air with nothing coming out... what happened was that it somehow stopped feeding the filament the exact moment where the end of the filament reached the guiding tube, so the tube was still containing filament - and therefore of course the filament sensor did not react - but the roll was empty.
There was just nothing coming out of the nozzle while it continued moving around and there was no strange sound (like when it is trying to continue feeding when something is cluttered etc)... this happened after about 50 hours of successful printing (and after having no issue at all with the whole roll of this filament).

What could that be?

Naser404

Re: End of roll issue

Postby Naser404 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:25 am

I had the same exact issue but mine did eventually park the head and ask for filament replacement and you can see my post here. I did eventually replace the filament and i then realized that it started printing in mid air which means that it only detected filament run out after a couple of layers later when there was no filament.

http://forum.raise3d.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=13114

Shelton

Postby Shelton » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:03 am

Sometimes filament doesn't want to unroll... from the spool. And your printer print in air... you should check it...

Naser404

Postby Naser404 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:09 pm

i just remembered here is a video recording, i will check it.

zemlin

Postby zemlin » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:03 pm

A lot of filament rolls start by passing the filament through a small hole or slot which creates a kink right at the end of the filament. Perhaps this kink caused the filament to hang up.

Shelton

Postby Shelton » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:10 pm

Sometimes you can find some bumps also...

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:53 pm

I'm guessing the end of filament might be caught be the filament spool that it can hardly be continuously fed in but as there still had filament inside the run-out sensor, it hadn't be triggered with no filament.
1.jpg

Return to “Pro2 Series”