Raising the standard cover

Donna Zimmerman

Re: Raising the standard cover

Postby Donna Zimmerman » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:34 pm

I would love to have hinges on the cover so I can just tilt it backwards. What do you all think?

Ronvp

Postby Ronvp » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:16 pm

Korni wrote:Is this correct ????

Print:
4x Raise3D Pro2 Cover spacer corners.STL
2x Raise3D Pro2 Cover spacer connector 2.STL
2x Raise3D Pro2 Cover spacer connector 1.STL
THX

That is correct..

Ronvp

Postby Ronvp » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:17 pm

Donna Zimmerman wrote:I would love to have hinges on the cover so I can just tilt it backwards. What do you all think?

I like that a lot. I plan to do it as soon as I have time..maybe in the next few months or so

Ronvp

Postby Ronvp » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:23 pm

michaelhauser wrote:My design is a little different in that it straddles the case edge on both sides, so it doesn't depend on tension of the whole spacer frame to hold it up. That has the nice side effect that it could be used to both add height and ventilation by only printing the corner pieces.
Also, the lip for the cover is on the inside rather than the outside. I did it that way because I was planning to add hinges to the rear piece and I didn't want the lip interfering when the cover was hinged back. Anyway, as mentioned above, I only got as far as a test corner piece. The test piece is short but the actual design could be as tall as desired. The test fits my N2 perfectly.

I like that idea.. especially for venting on the side.. I am thinking to marry your idea with mine. It is easy to add holes/slots in the Spacers. That way, I can keep the stability and maybe add a little sliding plate to allow closing/adjusting the holes..

michaelhauser

Postby michaelhauser » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:22 am

I saw this product discussed here on another thread:
https://www.inspirenovations.com/produc ... ter-Covers
Apparently, they had trouble getting it into production, but maybe someone has received one and can share their experience. It seems like a reasonable price, and the the "infinite" positioning is cool, but it doesn't look like it solves the problem of lid height. Also it looks like it requires drilling holes in both the cover and the frame. They claim that the torque required for the hinges to keep the lid up makes drilling mandatory. My design goal was to avoid having to drill into the frame by mounting standard hinges (or a piano hinge) on the spacer itself and then having the gas springs that connect to the lid and the sides of the spacer support the weight of the lid. Metal plates could be used, as with their design, to reinforce the gas spring connection points, but I don't see why the frame would need to be drilled.

EL Cuajinais

Postby EL Cuajinais » Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:30 pm

jetdillo wrote:Is this shipping yet ?
What sort of adaptations are you having to do ?
Thanks!

I got mine in March I think but am now going about installing it. I’ve had to redesign the suction head because the one they offer is for the dual extruder and I have a single. If you have a dual or dual converted to single you should be fine. It’s the built as single extruder ones that can’t be fitted with their suction head because they have a different, individually controlled (better) part cooling fan.

To the OP:

Thanks for posting this. It looks like this also works on the N2. Printing a second corner now. This time using helper discs to see if I can keep those edges down. I’ve always been an ABS guy because I like the finish, feel and “snap-ability” (as in bend before break). But this is a pretty tough one to use ABS with. On a side note, this print has been the first time I’ve used nearly all of the printbed, and I had to shim two corners with business cards because my bed is not level at the corners but I had never had to use corners in 3 years up to now.

Ronvp

Postby Ronvp » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:37 pm

I modified the frame to have adjustable vents in each corner. I am printing a single corner and vent to make sure I can slide the vent in without breaking using PLA. If it does not work, I will look at printing the slider in place. Here are 2 pics, 1 of the whole frame and 1 of only the corner
Frame.jpg
Corner.jpg

EL Cuajinais

Postby EL Cuajinais » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:27 pm

Printing the 4th corner now. But first corner was unusable due to lifting on edges. Second try I shimmed the bed corners and used helper discs. And it printed fine in ABS! = Score one for me. So logically I printed that exact same file again and... the ABS lifting broke the build plate glass!= Score one for physics. Hey at least the part works. So 2 corners done, 2 more to go. I flipped the buildplate glass to print on the side where it isn’t broken and I’m printing the same file again. Let’s see what happens…

I have a new glass plate and .2mm nozzle on order now. I’ve always been curious to try printing tabletop miniatures with a .2mm nozzle. Most likely over the weekend I’ll be redesigning one of the 4 connectors to have an angled hole for the hose to pass through. I’m thinking I should either leave some space to install a printed nylon bushing or some type of trust bearing that will allow the suction hose to slide in and out without too much friction.

Ronvp

Postby Ronvp » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:38 pm

EL Cuajinais wrote: I’ll be redesigning one of the 4 connectors to have an angled hole for the hose to pass through. I’m thinking I should either leave some space to install a printed nylon bushing or some type of trust bearing that will allow the suction hose to slide in and out without too much friction.

What do you mean with suction hose?? are you talking about the feeder tubes for the filament? Are you planning to place your filament spools on the outside??

EL Cuajinais

Postby EL Cuajinais » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:14 pm

Ronvp wrote:
EL Cuajinais wrote: I’ll be redesigning one of the 4 connectors to have an angled hole for the hose to pass through. I’m thinking I should either leave some space to install a printed nylon bushing or some type of trust bearing that will allow the suction hose to slide in and out without too much friction.

What do you mean with suction hose?? are you talking about the feeder tubes for the filament? Are you planning to place your filament spools on the outside??

No. This is the product I’m trying to install on my printer:

https://shop.zimple3d.com/

It is a suction head that is installed close to the nozzle to suck and filter gases from 3D printing. The hose needs to go through the enclosure because the large roundish filter thing will not fit inside the printer. I used to have my N2 in a closet outside the house when I lived in Puerto Rico. Since I’ve moved to the states I don’t have an outside closet or a garage, so the N2 is in my bedroom, much to my wife’s chagrin. So I’m either printing with the windows up for ventilation, which can’t be done year round; Or printing PLA without too much regard for ventilation, but I really dislike printing in PLA. After I get this installed I will be more comfortable printing other materials in the bedroom year round. I will still limit myself to printing to only essentials, not printing for printing’s sake, but I will be much more comfortable that I’m not inhaling nearly as much crap.

DeftCAD

Postby DeftCAD » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:59 am

Ronvp

Postby Ronvp » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:33 pm

DeftCAD wrote:Here's my solution: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2812567

Good idea and a lot simpler.. I like to be able to control the amount of venting depending on what I am printing.. Also, with some stuff, you really need to have the cover closed to prevent fumes getting out.. You can always remove the spacer, but then you have the issue with the tubes rubbing on the cover..

Ronvp

Postby Ronvp » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:37 pm

I finished printing the test piece and it printed nicely, but it does needs a lot of support structure. I am increasing the tolerances of the slider slightly to allow it to move a little more freely, I will post the files as soon as it is all correct.. here are some pics
half open.jpg
Half open
closed.jpg
Closed
closed.jpg (10.54 KiB) Viewed 485 times
open.jpg
Open
Last edited by Ronvp on Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ronvp

Postby Ronvp » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:45 pm

EL Cuajinais wrote:
It is a suction head that is installed close to the nozzle to suck and filter gases from 3D printing. The hose needs to go through the enclosure because the large roundish filter thing will not fit inside the printer. I used to have my N2 in a closet outside the house when I lived in Puerto Rico. Since I’ve moved to the states I don’t have an outside closet or a garage, so the N2 is in my bedroom, much to my wife’s chagrin. So I’m either printing with the windows up for ventilation, which can’t be done year round; Or printing PLA without too much regard for ventilation, but I really dislike printing in PLA. After I get this installed I will be more comfortable printing other materials in the bedroom year round. I will still limit myself to printing to only essentials, not printing for printing’s sake, but I will be much more comfortable that I’m not inhaling nearly as much crap.

I like that Idea. Alternatively, you should be able to attach a hose to the standard cover and just buy a adjustable computer fan and a separate HEPA filter and just filter it that way or do not filter it, just let it vent in you attic if you want..kinda like a chimney..

Ronvp

Postby Ronvp » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:31 pm

Just started printing the full set. All in 1 big batch.. it will take about 58 hrs..

EL Cuajinais

Postby EL Cuajinais » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:01 pm

Ronvp wrote:Just started printing the full set. All in 1 big batch.. it will take about 58 hrs..

Brave man, you must have Bondtech extruders on your printer. I have a Bondtech on mine I would not run a print this long if I can avoid it. But I have to say it would be pretty awesome to not have to do so many buildplate scraping, file slicing and printer setups. I guess I’m also a sucker for high quality prints and I don’t like the blobs that result from jumping between parts.

Good luck on your 58-hour print!

EL Cuajinais

Postby EL Cuajinais » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:29 pm

Ronvp wrote:Just started printing the full set. All in 1 big batch.. it will take about 58 hrs..

Hey Ronvp, Any chance you can post .stp files of your design? I would like to modify one to make a guided hole for the suction hose and working with stl's is a nightmare. I mean the original ones without the vents.

Thanks.

Ronvp

Postby Ronvp » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:19 am

EL Cuajinais wrote:Brave man, you must have Bondtech extruders on your printer. I have a Bondtech on mine I would not run a print this long if I can avoid it. But I have to say it would be pretty awesome to not have to do so many buildplate scraping, file slicing and printer setups. I guess I’m also a sucker for high quality prints and I don’t like the blobs that result from jumping between parts.

Good luck on your 58-hour print!

actually, I printed the first ones without the vent in one big batch also and it look really good. no blobs, stringing, etc.. Trick with these long prints is to void printing with different colors for the support..
Last edited by Ronvp on Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ronvp

Postby Ronvp » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:21 am

EL Cuajinais wrote:Hey Ronvp, Any chance you can post .stp files of your design? I would like to modify one to make a guided hole for the suction hose and working with stl's is a nightmare. I mean the original ones without the vents.

Thanks.

It is all done in solidworks, and it can export STEP (STP) files. I'll post them tomorrow morning..

EL Cuajinais

Postby EL Cuajinais » Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:52 am

Great. Thanks.

Return to “Pro2 Series”