Custom Dry Feeder Box for the Pro2

pjyarnall

Custom Dry Feeder Box for the Pro2

Postby pjyarnall » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:57 am

My colleague and I both use a number of filaments that are sensitive to humidity, but more and more the current thinking seems to suggest all filaments should be kept as dry as possible. We both built dry boxes incorporating "lizard heaters" and desiccants. The boxes worked fine but were a pain to manage the spools and feeding through the door of the Pro2. I decided to build a dry box that integrates into the Pro2 directly. The spools are now so much easier to manage, (I hated the factory spool mounts... they fall off every time you try to get a spool off). An inexpensive hygrometer is mounted on the inside where it is easy to see and monitors the internal temp as well as the RH.

The box secures to the former spool mount rails. The door was removed and a narrow thin piece of plastic was put into the former door hinge to allow keeping the Pro2 essentially closed to keep the interior of the printer warm is desired. I designed the box to accommodate the largest spool diameter I could find to keep it adaptable to any potential filament vendor.
two additional spools can be stored on either side of he feeding spools.

The factory should contemplate pursuing something like this, perhaps as an accessory.

Sorry the images are rotated.... something goofy about the attachment function in this forum... which is very annoying.
Attachments
IMG_3980.JPG
IMG_3976.JPG
Pro 2

DavidBarwin

Re: Custom Dry Feeder Box for the Pro2

Postby DavidBarwin » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:15 pm

Very nice work! Thank you for sharing. ;-) And yes the sideways attachment issue is a pain.

pjyarnall

Postby pjyarnall » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:42 am

Thanks! Pics are probably fine as long as they are shot in landscape mode. I will try to remember to try that next time.
Pro 2

Ronvp

Postby Ronvp » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:44 pm

Paul, this is just awesome!! Anyway you can share you're Solidworks files on this box??

Korni

Postby Korni » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:12 pm

Nice ...
Pro2+ Image

Ronvp

Postby Ronvp » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:10 pm

@pjyarnall: Paul, any way you can share the solidworks files of you spool enclosure??

Shelton

Postby Shelton » Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:37 pm

Good work mate.

pjyarnall

Postby pjyarnall » Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:57 pm

Thanks, guys... appreciate it. :P
Pro 2

pjyarnall

Postby pjyarnall » Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:02 pm

For any who are interested in the Feeder Box for the Pro 2, I posted a video which shows the details better than the pics above. I detail what I am prepared to provide in the description under the video. https://youtu.be/-tZGnMbxGqA

Based on pics I have seen, the Feeder Box may also fit the N2 series as they appear similar. Exact measurements of the N2 opening would be needed to determine compatibility or the necessary adjustments in dimensions to make it work.
Pro 2

Return to “Pro2 Series”