Pro2 Plus Fan Noise

rivman455

Pro2 Plus Fan Noise

Postby rivman455 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:48 am

I recently picked up a Pro2 Plus to supplement our current (highly upgraded and modified) CR-10 S5 for prototyping furniture parts. After a the nightmare of this getting lost in shipping, I finally got it set up and found that when I turned it on the fan noise was absurd! I have shop vacs that make less noise. The blower fan in the motion controller compartment seems to be the main culprit, sounding like a leaf blower, but I feel like all the fans except the hot end and part fans are exceptionally loud. Has anyone else had these issues? I've submitted a ticket to Raise3D but have gotten no reply. I purchased this through MatterHackers and they have at least tried to isolate the noise, claiming that these printers should be very quiet. If the cooling system is not functioning I fear it can lead to even greater failures if not addressed, so I have suspended use of this printer until the issue is resolved. If I need to I'm happy to order any fan upgrades and replace every single one, but I need to have a solution ASAP. This $6K purchase was intended to expand our capacity to make a very critical deadline in mid September... I have now spent several days trying to troubleshoot and I'm hesitant to run long prints when the printer sounds like a jet plane warming it's engines on the tarmac before takeoff. We can not afford to have this thing burn out because it was shipped with faulty cooling parts.

Please, if you have had a similar issue and solved it let me know. I hate to say cost is no object, but at this point I need this printer to function and not overheat/catch fire/explode on me. I will replace every fan in the machine if that's what it takes.

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: Pro2 Plus Fan Noise

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:41 pm

Do you mean the fan inside the black plastic box at the right hand bottom corner of the printer?
Have you removed the plastic cover and confirmed?
If possible, a video attached into your support ticket to show the noise will help the technicians to confirm the issue a lot.

carver0510

Postby carver0510 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:56 am

My printer is also extremly loud! The noise is very disturbing.

I have done some research:

I removed each fan connection - step by step - to isolate the noisy fan. When i have removed all fan connectors the printer is still very noisy! So it have to be ne fan of the power supply. The fan of the PSU is working all time full speed ... so it is very loud.

Is this normal?

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:22 pm

If you'd like to send a video to show the noise from your power supply and share with us on help.raise3d.com, our technicians will try their best to help.

EldRick

Postby EldRick » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:48 pm

It's certainly normal on the N2 series. The power supply fan sounds like a vacuum cleaner.

rivman455

Postby rivman455 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:11 pm

It turns out the blower fan in the controller board compartment was bad and running at full speed until it burned itself out. I had already submitted a ticket and while I'm a little underwhelmed by the response time to that ticket so I called the support line. I was also working with MatterHackers support and between the two support teams we were able to diagnose the problem and replace the burned out fan.

That said... both teams claimed to have one of these machines sitting next to them running whisper quiet. That, I don't buy. Even with the leaf blower replaced, I still feel the fans that are installed are very loud. There are 3 fans and I feel they are all very noticeable. Now that I don't have the bad blower drowning everything out I can tell you the power supply fan is the biggest offender. I look forward to seeing the community here grow and those who are more mechanically inclined to hack some fan mods to actually silent this machine.

Return to “Pro2 Series”