First layer not sticking

mnew

First layer not sticking

Postby mnew » Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:52 pm

Hi

I am a newbie to Raise3D. Very impressed with the quality of the build of the product.
I have a problem that some prints don't 'stick' to the base, is there something to watch for? Most are fine just on occastions it does not work. This also seems to cause the ititial 'purge pile' to not stck and then be dragged into the print area.

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: First layer not sticking

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:27 am

Do you always use the same filament or not? Do you always print with Raft or not?
Does the not sticking issue happen in different areas on bed or always similar areas?

For the "purge pile", you can enable skirt. Then there will have an extra circle printed out of the model before starting the real model printing.

mnew

Postby mnew » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:46 am

Currently just using the white PLA that came with the printer and always printing in the same area.
I will try enabling 'skirt'

Some print jobs seem fine

mnew

Postby mnew » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:10 pm

when the print head does its 'purge' at the begining of the print, sometimes the 'blob' does not stick and gets dragged into the print area. This then causes the job to fail so you have to watch for this. Is there a way of improoving the sucess rate of this process?

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:57 am

Enable the skirt. Then the purge filament will be stuck onto the skirt instead of your model.

mnew

Postby mnew » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:14 am

Thanks Vicky

mnew

Postby mnew » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:38 am

Tried that but when the 'blog' is dragged to the skirt the head can hit it and can cause problems with the print :(

DS2017

Postby DS2017 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:15 pm

mnew wrote:Tried that but when the 'blog' is dragged to the skirt the head can hit it and can cause problems with the print :(

when the purge is done, just use your hands to yank away the purged filament strands.

mnew

Postby mnew » Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:22 pm

I could but the printer is in another room so I have to wait whilst it heats up which I would rather not.
Also really with a product like this that should not be necessary, the printer should handle this itself.

Alex M.

Postby Alex M. » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:42 pm

I found that certain filaments require a bit of hand holding and others done. The Raise3D filament, MatterHackers Build and MG Chemicals seems to stick with the nozzle but ESun and MatterHackers Pro seems to drop off by itself after the purge. Hackbox seems to be hit or miss for us.

In the end these are 3D printer and not an HP LaserJet, so you can't really expect a send and forget print.

mnew

Postby mnew » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:49 pm

It would be nice if it could be trusted to do this correctly. My other printer doesn't have this issue. If it did the purge further into the mat there might be a better chance of it sticking ?

maxamillo

Postby maxamillo » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:03 pm

I modeled a little box with a little clamp that attaches to the buildplate, under where the nozzles purge. Inside is coated with tape. When they purge, most (most) of the time, the tape catches the purge no problem

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:56 am

It might be a little off topic, but actually we will more recommend the user to wait until the first several layers finished properly, then let the printer continues the following alone.
As the adhesion can be obvious checked from the very first layer which is a key factor to success or failure. Or keeping on printing with not sticking first layer, the extruded filament may do harm to your hardware.

detroitus

Postby detroitus » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:05 pm

What if there was an option in IdeaMaker that enabled an additional "purge line" to be printed at the beginning of the print job? For example, before the extruder begins printing the skirt or the actual part, it lays down a one inch long straight line onto the build surface far enough away from the work area that there is no danger of the nozzle striking the purge material later on in the print. It seems to me that it would be simple enough to add, and would alleviate the issue mnew is having.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:51 am

What about increasing Skirt Offset to keep the skirt far away to the model?

OsoVerde

Postby OsoVerde » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:20 am

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:It might be a little off topic, but actually we will more recommend the user to wait until the first several layers finished properly, then let the printer continues the following alone.
As the adhesion can be obvious checked from the very first layer which is a key factor to success or failure. Or keeping on printing with not sticking first layer, the extruded filament may do harm to your hardware.

That might be a slightly more reasonable request if it didnt take 20 min for the printer to heat up...

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:58 am

For me, usually I will set the bed to be target temperature before I start slicing and loading filament. It kills a lot time than nozzle preheating.

Return to “Pro2 Series”