Y axis missing some of the print

jeffarazzi

Y axis missing some of the print

Postby jeffarazzi » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:59 pm

On my N2, the prints are suddenly too short on the y-axis. Almost as if the The infill and and exterior shell also appears to have an issue aligning along the Y axis.

If I print a 20mm calibration cube, X and z are 20mm, but the Y is 17mm. and it's not like the print along the Y is squished. It's as though the last 3mm on the front as has been lopped off. The infill appears off as though the printer thought it printed the full Y length.

I have two other N2 printers and the exact same sliced file prints fine on those machine (running off a USB thumb drive).

Things I have done to troubleshoot:
• Reinstalled the Motion controller firmware 1.1.6 rev1
• Adjusted the Y steps to 90, to get the cube to 20mm on Y. This stretches the cube, it doesn't add back the missing 3mm, so the "Y" on the cube is off-centered and stretched.
• Reduced the jerk from the default which helped a little with the infill alignment, but not much.
• Swapped the X and Y drivers on the main board to see if the issue would change to the X axis, but didn't change anything.
• Sliced the file multiple times with different settings.
• Tried to print the same cube in other areas besides the center of the bed. (issue did not change).
Attachments
IMG_8144.jpg
Infill and outer shell do not align
IMG_2093.JPG
This picket is supposed to be symmetrical. It's the correct width in the photo thanks to adding steps, but not symmetrical.
IMG_4476.jpg
10% infill does not align with itself
IMG_0043.jpg
Left side of cube appears to be missing 3mm. If missing steps, I would have assumed the "Y" would have been centered and squished.

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: Y axis missing some of the print

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:01 am

If you have checked whether you feel any resistance when moving the extruder head with both X Y motors enabled and disabled?

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:05 am

If I was a betting person, the motor to shaft coupler broke and that would account for the massive backlash you are seeing.
This is highly unlikely to be anything else.
I bet it makes a clicking noise if you move Y axis back and forth.

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:10 am

Again, facts:
N2 and N2 plus use direct motor to shaft couplers to drive the axis. If the motor is even slightly misaligned, this flexes the coupler until it fatigues and cracks, at that point, all bets are off, it's a broken coupler. Some folks have noises, some don't, some have massive backlash, some have very little, some flat out won't print, some print nearly OK.

The N1 is the only printer that has a secondary belt between the motor and the actual axis shafts- so it's the only one you ever as a user would adjust belt tension if seeing this backlash.
Attachments
IMG_20161017_234715_s.jpg
Coupler broken removal.jpg
Coupler broken install instruction.jpg

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:17 am

Also- hint, the Y axis motor is on the same side as the filament bay area. Just get down at floor level and look up at the top of the printer.
Again, simply use the disable stepper to unlock the steppers from the jog menu screen, them move the head back and forth in y axis while looking at the motor and coupler listening for any sounds while also looking for a visual crack with a flashlight.

jeffarazzi

Postby jeffarazzi » Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:13 am

Jetguy wrote:Also- hint, the Y axis motor is on the same side as the filament bay area. Just get down at floor level and look up at the top of the printer.
Again, simply use the disable stepper to unlock the steppers from the jog menu screen, them move the head back and forth in y axis while looking at the motor and coupler listening for any sounds while also looking for a visual crack with a flashlight.

Thank you Jetguy! You are correct. (As if there is any doubt with your knowledge) It is a broken coupler. Looks like I'll be ordering one tomorrow.

Do you happen to know what size coupler I need?

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:24 am

5mm motor shaft to 8mm axis shaft. They are all over amazon and other sites.

jeffarazzi

Postby jeffarazzi » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:33 pm

Thank you once again for your help!

Return to “N Series”