Stop heating unused extruder on Pro2

Please post your suggestions for software changes here
NDPG

Stop heating unused extruder on Pro2

Postby NDPG » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:01 pm

When only using one extruder the unused one heats up as well. This happens even if the temperature setting for that extruder has been set to zero in the template. All that achieves is some cooked filament and some unnecessary ooze. It also means it takes longer to start a new print because when starting a new print straight away the active extruder and bed will be close to the required temperature but the inactive one now has to heat up from cold (for no obvious reason.)
Pro2, IdeaMaker V3.1.6.1850, Firmware V0.0.31, RaiseTouch V0.9.11, MacOS V10.13.5

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: Stop heating unused extruder on Pro2

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:28 pm

We do understand that not your thought that not necessary heating may cause filament in nozzle oozing and cooked.
But currently we do not have any other idea to in case cold material does damage to nozzle tip if nozzle jogs before print starts.

We may consider to heat the unused nozzle to lower temperature, Or if you have any other good suggestion, please feel free to advise.

billbucket

Postby billbucket » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:41 pm

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:We may consider to heat the unused nozzle to lower temperature, Or if you have any other good suggestion, please feel free to advise.

Does shifting the nozzle heads actually require the filament inside to be melted? It seems that the melted portion is wholly contained in the portion that is shifted. Is the problem in syncing the extruder retraction with the nozzle retraction?

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:10 pm

As far as I known, we don't move the feeding gear backward when nozzle jog up. It is not the same as nozzle retraction, as when nozzle retraction, the nozzle does not always move up/

NDPG

Postby NDPG » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:26 pm

I agree with billbucket. The portion of filament in the Nozzle Lifting System should be free so pulling back some filament by the same amount that the hot end moves should work. At the very least, don't use the same temperature as the active nozzle. That could be a lot higher than the filament in the inactive one would like. The filament just needs to be soft enough to stretch a bit.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:55 am

Double confirmed with R&D team, they checked the firmware and electronic sides, said both disable are hard to achieve.
We are considering to develop a Single Mode. Which won't enable the unused nozzle if you are running only one nozzle after you active the mode and choose a nozzle for it.

paulkramm

Postby paulkramm » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:20 pm

we agree. The support raft takes at least an hour to lay down, by which point the other material has been cooked and won't come out. It should simmer at a lower temp until minutes before it will be used

Insomnia

Postby Insomnia » Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:49 pm

paulkramm wrote:we agree. The support raft takes at least an hour to lay down, by which point the other material has been cooked and won't come out. It should simmer at a lower temp until minutes before it will be used

Second That.

moyerek

Postby moyerek » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:49 pm

I like the "single extruder" mode option to prevent the other extruder not to heat up during the preheat.

As far as having your non active extruder "cook" your material, I would add a script in the GCode tab to turn down the nozzle.

;T0 = Left Extruder
;T1 = Right Extruder
;M104 sets extruder temperature
;M109 sets extruder temperature and waits until temperature is reached
G1 X0 Y0 F4000; moves extruder to X0 Y0 to wait for temperatures
[if{new_extruder}=0] M104 T1 S165 T1; Cool T1 to 165 C
[if{new_extruder}=0] M109 T0 S{temperature_extruder1}; Set T0
[if{new_extruder}=1] M104 T0 S165; Cool T0 to 165 C
[if{new_extruder}=1] M109 T1 S{temperature_extruder2}; set T1

This works but it runs for the entire print. I have been thinking about adding additional "if" statements to only run this script at the very beginning which is typically when you have you inactive extruder sit for a while (like printing a raft).

KS_Husker

Postby KS_Husker » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:51 pm

Thank you, this is exactly what I was looking to add to my tool change. I have the same problem many times and just want to cool the hot end enough to eliminate oozing, and cooking the filament. I have used the new Cura and they do this thing where they start heating the nozzle that will be switched to a set time prior to the actual switching of the nozzles. And then the one that was used is cooled to a set temperature to eliminate oozing and cooking the filament. It is really slick. And I have requested this before. I think I was given a similar code from Vicky then also. I'll have to dig it out. But I wish they would just incorporate the same functionality as Cura has. It's awesome and doesn't slow down your print time either.

pjyarnall

Postby pjyarnall » Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:15 am

Yesterday would not be soon enough. I have managed to get filament profiles configured that won't turn on the un-used extruder but it was a time consuming and frustrating process. Shouldn't be so hard.
Pro 2

Return to “Software”