Default Import Units

Please post your suggestions for software changes here
oray_raise3D_user

Default Import Units

Postby oray_raise3D_user » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:07 am

It would be nice if there was a preference setting that could change the default import units to inches instead of the software assuming that they are in mm.

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: Default Import Units

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:32 am

Notes taken.

And please note, currently ideaMaker will ask whether you want to transfer the unit to be inch if the original size of the model is small. In the other cases, all the default units are by mm.

Jetguy

Re: Default Import Units

Postby Jetguy » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:14 pm

oray_raise3D_user wrote:It would be nice if there was a preference setting that could change the default import units to inches instead of the software assuming that they are in mm.

As much as I know you think this is a good idea, it's simply not. This is because in 3D printing software, metric is the standard and assumption is import is ALWAYS in mm. If instead of trying to fight the systems and standards, you properly understand this and change your user habits and properly export in mm, your entire 3D printing process will improve. I cannot stress enough, the entire industry is metric, and being a holdout is only going to frustrate you when you use other software -Meshmixer, Netfabb, and dozens of other 3D STL manipulation and repair tools.

You can absolutely model in inches all day long in CAD. It's a simple setting in every CAD program to export the STL in mm. Again, I'm not saying you have to change what you model in, but I am saying bucking the convention at the time of export is not the best foot forward.

Return to “Software”