New Support Structure Type

Please post your suggestions for software changes here
DanaD

New Support Structure Type

Postby DanaD » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:30 am

Feature Request:
Title: [Add Tent Pole Support]
Description: [Feature would generate external "Tent Pole" supports for narrow tall parts]
Version: [3.05]
Operation System: [Mac OS]
Reason: [Narrow models that must be printed vertically in the Z-axis, have limited contact with the print bed; thus the model will tip over from limited contact/hold down to the print bed regardless of using a raft etc,. By adding tent pole supports, the user can support-- against the model instability in the X and Y axis from lateral forces. Likewise, the tent poles supports are like a external cage. I'm imagining the tent pole support is a brace added, like Manuel supports are added, but at an angle (normal) and distance out/away from the base of model and needs to be specified by the user. Existing support types are good but perhaps a triangle support or circular support could be added too.]

zemlin

Re: New Support Structure Type

Postby zemlin » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:55 pm

I have some models where I use a support structure similar to what you are describing. I have 21 tall fingers around the part and if they are unsupported when they come together the part draws in a bit due to material shrinkage. I have added an external sleeve and small leaders that reach in and join at the top of each finger - only two layers tall at the contact point and two perimeters thick, so it cuts away easily. This was added to the model so it's part of the STL file.
Capture.JPG

Return to “Software”