MID PRINT FILAMENT LOADING

Please post your suggestions for software changes here
lrosasco

MID PRINT FILAMENT LOADING

Postby lrosasco » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:32 pm

A great and useful feature would be able to change filament spools mid print, for example, say there is not enough material on the spool. There is all the talk about filament run out sensors, but then what? Try and re-feed new materiel in while the print is going? Its possible, but not very reliable.

A good solution would be like the pause button (or could even be the pause button), and once in the paused state (moved over to 0,0 home potion), then have the same controls as unloading/loading filament, and an resume when done.

Only minor issue could be oozing before restarting, and it could come from standard retract setting at that point.

Probably something really simple to add to the software.

Anubis

Re: MID PRINT FILAMENT LOADING

Postby Anubis » Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:00 am

If I recall correctly, you can actually use the Load/Unload function while the print is paused with the current version.

You're right about the oozing, though, I don't think there are any provisions for dealing with ooze when the machine resumes a print. My strategy to deal with this is to pause when it is printing infill so any losses due to ooze are not visible.

lrosasco

Postby lrosasco » Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:17 pm

I thought I had the latest touch screen firmware, but I'll have to check. Maybe I just wasn't hitting the right buttons.

lrosasco

Postby lrosasco » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:38 pm

I did check, newest version does allow for the changing when paused. Last time i checked it must of been on a previous version.

Michael.P@Raise3D

Postby Michael.P@Raise3D » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:33 pm

As you have found, the current version of the touchscreen firmware does allow for the use of the unload function in the paused state, it has for a while now. As to the thought on the Filament run out sensor, we have been able to move forward on the pre-order process for the unit and will be releasing details later.
Michael Petitclerc, Technician
Tel: +888 963 9028
Web: http://www.raise3d.com

firesped

Postby firesped » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:27 pm

with the updated firmware on the motion controller. the filament runout sensor will detect that the printer is running out of filament. It sends a single to the touchscreen to pause the print. The touchscreen also knows it was paused by this process.

Whenever you pause or stop the printer. it has to finish what it is already doing. That is why a filament runout sensor works better in the case that you ran out. the motion controller can stop it's action and let the touchscreen know where it stopped it.
RL name: Michael Nolen
printers:
raise3D N2 kickstarter Early Bird
Trinus Deluxe (running smoothieware on Azteeg X5 GT board)
Monoprice Maker Select v2

Return to “Software”