Wish list.. ability to move 2nd extruder out of the way when not needed

Please post your suggestions for hardware features
Bhendricks

Wish list.. ability to move 2nd extruder out of the way when not needed

Postby Bhendricks » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:06 pm

I have been using the N2 for several months now and I am very happy with the machine.

In my case, It is not very often that I use both extruders for the same print but it is nice to have them both when I need them.

For single extruder print jobs, the second extruder has a tendency to drag on the part. Sometimes it will break off a support or cause some other issue that will degrade or ruin the print.

It would be nice if there were some type of lever that would raise the 2nd extruder slightly so that it was out of the way when it wasn't being used.

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: Wish list.. ability to move 2nd extruder out of the way when not needed

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:52 am

If you only use one nozzle in most time, you can loose the hotend fixing screws and move the right hotend more higher than default. Or move the left side hotend down. And re-check the distance between nozzle and build plate.
dual.png

firesped

Re: Wish list.. ability to move 2nd extruder out of the way when not needed

Postby firesped » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:42 am

to do something like this would require a redesign on the extruder carriage. the part that the hotend connects too would have to shift from the top to the bottom of the carriage. the stepper motor would also need to shift. so it is not an easy problem to solve. the system also need to be automated to move it back in place.

systems that do this likely use bowden printing so they don't have to worry about displacing the stepper motors.
RL name: Michael Nolen
printers:
raise3D N2 kickstarter Early Bird
Trinus Deluxe (running smoothieware on Azteeg X5 GT board)
Monoprice Maker Select v2

Return to “Hardware”