Placement of custom G Code

IdeaMaker Discussion
jbernardis

Placement of custom G Code

Postby jbernardis » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:34 pm

A couple of other comments regarding custom G Code.

1) the custom start and end G Code are not placed at the start and end of the file as one might think. The end G Code is not so much of a problem because it is only comments that follow, but there are actual statements inserted before the start code. Among other things, this code waits for temperatures to be reached. I know it's important to wait, but I like to turn my heaters on, and then do my bed probing before actually waiting for the heat-up to be performed. You prevent this from happening because the code you insert has waits that are executed before my probe command. If my custom code was first, then the probe would operate as desired, and your wait instructions would just be redundant (or I could omit mine) and things would proceed fine.

2) you seem to strip out the comments from custom code. I rely on the comments I place in the file to contain information I like to know about the file - such as filament diameter, temperatures, slicing configuration, etc. Since you strip out the comments, this is impossible. Quite frankly, there is no reason to strip comments. It IS presumptive on your part, and the extra space taken up by comments in the custom code is insignificant compared to the overall file size. Also, you insert your own comments in the code, so why do you disallow me to have my own comments in the code that I write.

firesped

Re: Placement of custom G Code

Postby firesped » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:03 am

primarily ideamaker has been used by the N-series community, But that is now opening up. These seem to be feature requests that should be made to not strip comments. Also to show the code the slicer added to the gcode as a header.

the start script has generally primed the filament and starts the print.

It seems like if you are doing bed leveling, that need to be an option that is added in to start that before it runs heat hotend and wait and heat bed and wait commands. It would likely be options added in the other tabs.
RL name: Michael Nolen
printers:
raise3D N2 kickstarter Early Bird
Trinus Deluxe (running smoothieware on Azteeg X5 GT board)
Monoprice Maker Select v2

jbernardis

Postby jbernardis » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:15 am

A way to ask for bed leveling in ideamaker would be great and it would simplify the start code I would need to add. I'd be all for that.

There are other things to consider at start up though. My typical start code is as follows:
1) turn on heaters
2) probe the bed and return to home
3)raise up 0.5mm on z just to get off the bed
4) wait for desired temps to be reached
5) raise up 25 millimeters or so and extrude filament just to get the extruder primed for printing.
6) wait a few seconds to give me a chance to clean the tip with some tweezers
7) finally proceed into the print

I'm sure other people have their own recipes that they follow. The point is that this is an area where it could be difficult to please everybody. Perhaps like you said, show ALL the start and end code on the custom page and let people edit as they need.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:27 am

We will open an option in next version for you to decide whether you need preheat code in start code or not which is automatically added currently.

jbernardis

Postby jbernardis » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:54 pm

I look forward to it. Thanks

Return to “ideaMaker”